Apologies for all these test messages, but....

  • David Inglis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2011

      I’ve sent several messages today all of which were addressed to Synoptic, GPG, and gthomas. In my case all three yahoogroups.com addresses were in the ‘To’ field in Outlook (my email program). A couple of the messages were received by all three groups, but the majority were only received by Synoptic. I can’t say whether the order in which the addresses appear in the ‘To’ field determines which group(s) receive the messages, because it doesn’t seem consistent. However, it does appear to confirm what I suspected, i.e. that messages go ‘missing’ when you try to send them to multiple groups. I would be interested in knowing whether other people have seen this behavior.

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2011
        At 04:39 PM 7/17/2011, David Inglis wrote:

        I�ve sent several messages today all of which were addressed to Synoptic, GPG, and gthomas. In my case all three yahoogroups.com addresses were in the �To� field in Outlook (my email program). A couple of the messages were received by all three groups, but the majority were only received by Synoptic. I can�t say whether the order in which the addresses appear in the �To� field determines which group(s) receive the messages, because it doesn�t seem consistent. However, it does appear to confirm what I suspected, i.e. that messages go �missing� when you try to send them to multiple groups. I would be interested in knowing whether other people have seen this behavior.

        David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

        David,
        There's another way to send the same message to multiple groups: Use the CC: field.

        Bob Schacht
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2011

          David,

          I received four messages in GTh. How many did you send?

          Judy Redman
          PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
          University of New England
          Armidale 2351 Australia
          ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
          mob: 0437 044 579
          web:
           http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
          email:
           jredman2@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2011
            To David, Judy, et al:

            This test should have been discussed with list moderators before being run.
            We could have come up with a procedure that didn't involve actually sending
            the test messages to all members. My apologies for not putting a stop to this
            earlier. The messages have been deleted from our archives.

            Mike G.