Re: [GTh] Gospel of Thomas and the Farrer Theory

  • Doug Milford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
      I see I sent this straight to Mark. So here it is for the list ...
      __________________________

      Mark,

      While peripheral and buried in footnotes, Zeba Antonin Crook engages Farrer somewhat iin "The Synoptic Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven: A Test-Case for the Two-Document, Two-Gospel, and Farrer-Goulder Goulder Hypotheses," JSNT 78, 2000, 23-48.

      ... Goulder sees a parallelism between the two parables which indicates that Matthew created the parable of the Leaven rather than simply having selected it from Q. Hence, where we saw earlier the notion that the order of the two parables is unnecessary, as indicated by the Gospel of Thomas and Mark, Goulder sees a very deliberate pattern uniting them (p. 43).

      Crook goes on to note (f 82) that "this might well suggest that Mark thought so, but that the Gospel of Thomas has them separated suggests that the order is not necessary even if it is possible."

      Doug Milford

      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Mark Goodacre <Goodacre@...> wrote:
      Many thanks, Judy and Doug, for helpful suggestions. Good catch on
      Zeba Crook.  Plisch appears to be ignorant of the Farrer Theory, as
      far as I can tell.  I doubt that Nordsieck engages with it, but I look
      forward to double-checking next week.  Cheers, Mark

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011

        Mark,

        I didn’t get the post from Phil and it doesn’t seem to have made it into my junk folder, which legitimate posts to lists sometimes do. Did he reply to you direct?  If so, Phil would you mind resharing, please?

        Judy Redman
        PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia