RE: [GTh] Editions of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12 4:09 AM

      [>] Andrew says

      I am curious about the different numbering systems. I'll try to look in Kasser when I get home tonight and see if any of the sources he references are full fledged editions. I've heard about the different numbering systems of the sayings before, but never actually encountered them. As far as I can tell, Guillaumont's first edition uses basically our numbering system.

      [>]

      I don’t have the text in front of me and am very busy until after the weekend, but my memory is that Guillamont’s text has a different number of sayings to the one we’re used to. Not radically different, but different

      Judy

      [>]--

      Judy Redman
      web:
       http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email:
       judyr54@...

    • Andrew Bernhard
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13 12:30 AM

        Hi Judy,

        I suspect the collation referred to is the publication of the Facsimile edition of Codex II in 1974.

        As for Guillaumont, he has a prologue and 114 sayings. The page numbering is completely different, though.

        So I think I’ve located two Coptic editions (both from Layton’s bibliography) that were made between 1959 and 1989.

        One is German: Leipoldt, Johannes. 1967. Das Evangelium nach Thomas koptisch und deutsch. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.

        The other French:  Suarez, Philippe de. 1974. L'evangile selon Thomas. Marsanne: Editions Metanoia. According to google books, the subtitle of this book is: traduction, présentation et commentaries.

        Thus, it would seem to be that there was a German/Coptic Edition and a French Coptic edition. But apparently a thirty year gap in editions in the English-speaking world.

        Anyone seen these books or have easy access to them?

        Thanks,

        Andrew