RE: [GTh] Editions of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2011

      I actually own a copy of Menard and it doesn’t contain any version of the Coptic text – just a translation into French and a commentary. It’s interesting in that he sets it out according to the page and line numbers of NHII,2 with the saying numbers in parentheses in the text, and in a variety of places he includes Greek words in parentheses after various of the French words. I am unsure about exactly what they signify because the footnote tells me that “That which is in brackets is a conjecture or an addition from our hand”. He goes on to say that “A recent collation made by J M Robinson on the Cairo manuscript did not provide anything essentially new from the text established by the first editors. Also, our translation does not differ from theirs on points of detail. It is principally (provided) to serve as a base for our commentary.” – Sorry, not a particularly nice translation from the French, but I’m in a hurry.

      The reason I am offering this is because it suggests that in 1975, Robinson had recently made a “collation” on the ms. Was this an edition of the Coptic text?

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
      mob: 0437 044 579
      web:
       http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email:
       jredman2@...

      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2011

        [>] Andrew says

        I am curious about the different numbering systems. I'll try to look in Kasser when I get home tonight and see if any of the sources he references are full fledged editions. I've heard about the different numbering systems of the sayings before, but never actually encountered them. As far as I can tell, Guillaumont's first edition uses basically our numbering system.

        [>]

        I don’t have the text in front of me and am very busy until after the weekend, but my memory is that Guillamont’s text has a different number of sayings to the one we’re used to. Not radically different, but different

        Judy

        [>]--

        Judy Redman
        web:
         http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
        email:
         judyr54@...

      • Andrew Bernhard
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2011

          Hi Judy,

          I suspect the collation referred to is the publication of the Facsimile edition of Codex II in 1974.

          As for Guillaumont, he has a prologue and 114 sayings. The page numbering is completely different, though.

          So I think I’ve located two Coptic editions (both from Layton’s bibliography) that were made between 1959 and 1989.

          One is German: Leipoldt, Johannes. 1967. Das Evangelium nach Thomas koptisch und deutsch. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.

          The other French:  Suarez, Philippe de. 1974. L'evangile selon Thomas. Marsanne: Editions Metanoia. According to google books, the subtitle of this book is: traduction, présentation et commentaries.

          Thus, it would seem to be that there was a German/Coptic Edition and a French Coptic edition. But apparently a thirty year gap in editions in the English-speaking world.

          Anyone seen these books or have easy access to them?

          Thanks,

          Andrew