Editions of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2011

      Hi all,

      I’ve been compiling a list of all the editions of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas that I know about, and something strange occurred to me: I don’t know of any editions that were created between 1959 and 1989. Guillaumont et al. published the editio principes and then 30 years later Layton released a thorough critical edition.

      Were there no other complete editions made during this time period? Anybody know?

      Thanks,

      Andrew

      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2011

        I have nothing to offer about texts, but this is a very interesting observation, Andrew.

        Judy Redman
        PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia
        ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
        mob: 0437 044 579
        web:
         http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
        email:
         jredman2@...

        Message 3 of 11 , May 11, 2011

          Hi Andrew-

          Koester’s “Ancient Christian Gospels” (note 2, p 78) references an edition by Jacque-E. Menard “L’Evangile selon Thomas” published by Brill in 1975 (NHS 5). I’ve never laid eyes on the book myself, but from what I can tell it is the predecessor to Layton’s 1989 Critical Edition. Maybe you can chase this down to see if it is a true Coptic edition.

          Also, there is a rather confusing table in Kasser’s L’Evangile selon Thomas (Editions Delachaux & Niestle, 1961) that tries to cross reference different numbering schemes of the logia proposed by Leipoldt, Garitte, Doreese and Till. Whether these proposals were from studies by these scholars or whether any of them had actually published the Coptic text I have no idea.  Leipoldt, I’m fairly sure published only a German translation.

          I hope this helps.

          Rick

          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2011
            Hi Rick-

            You got my hopes up there for a second . . . and in this digital age, a second means little more than that.

            Good books gives a preview of Menard's book, which is just a translation and commentary:

            http://books.google.com/books?id=3rUfAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&cd=1&source=gbs_ViewAPI#v=onepage&q&f=false

            I am curious about the different numbering systems. I'll try to look in Kasser when I get home tonight and see if any of the sources he references are full fledged editions. I've heard about the different numbering systems of the sayings before, but never actually encountered them. As far as I can tell, Guillaumont's first edition uses basically our numbering system. But if you have Kasser handy, can you tell me: doesn't he use a different numbering system? I seem to recall that he did.

            Thanks,
            Andrew

            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 2011
              Oh, also, I wrote to Claremont to find out why they don't have Codex II up received the following response:

              "Thank you for using the Claremont Colleges Digital Library (CCDL) and contacting us. We are pleased you are so happy with the Nag Hammadi Archive collection within the CCDL. We do plan to continue to add to this collection depending upon funding and/or volunteer support. There are several "series" of negatives of the Nag Hammadi codices. As you can see from the collection, we have already uploaded the J-series, M-series and this most recent Jung Codex series. We have started with the P-series – but we have many more to go. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which negative series specifically has the Gospel of Thomas and other important pages."

              It sounds like they're proceeding systematically and they were very cordial. But I wonder how we find out which series of negatives has Codex II.

              Cheers,
              Andrew

              Message 6 of 11 , May 11, 2011

                Hi Andrew-

                Thanks for clearing it up about Menard. I guess it must have just a translation, huh?

                Kasser’s numbering system is vastly different from the conventional one. He divides the text into 250 “versets”. That sounds like a lot, I know, but consider that if you count up all the “sub-sayings” in newer editions there are 316!

                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2011

                  I actually own a copy of Menard and it doesn’t contain any version of the Coptic text – just a translation into French and a commentary. It’s interesting in that he sets it out according to the page and line numbers of NHII,2 with the saying numbers in parentheses in the text, and in a variety of places he includes Greek words in parentheses after various of the French words. I am unsure about exactly what they signify because the footnote tells me that “That which is in brackets is a conjecture or an addition from our hand”. He goes on to say that “A recent collation made by J M Robinson on the Cairo manuscript did not provide anything essentially new from the text established by the first editors. Also, our translation does not differ from theirs on points of detail. It is principally (provided) to serve as a base for our commentary.” – Sorry, not a particularly nice translation from the French, but I’m in a hurry.

                  The reason I am offering this is because it suggests that in 1975, Robinson had recently made a “collation” on the ms. Was this an edition of the Coptic text?

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12, 2011

                    [>] Andrew says

                    I am curious about the different numbering systems. I'll try to look in Kasser when I get home tonight and see if any of the sources he references are full fledged editions. I've heard about the different numbering systems of the sayings before, but never actually encountered them. As far as I can tell, Guillaumont's first edition uses basically our numbering system.

                    [>]

                    I don’t have the text in front of me and am very busy until after the weekend, but my memory is that Guillamont’s text has a different number of sayings to the one we’re used to. Not radically different, but different

                    Judy

                    [>]--

                    Judy Redman
                    web:
                     http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
                    email:
                     judyr54@...

                  • Andrew Bernhard
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 13, 2011

                      Hi Judy,

                      I suspect the collation referred to is the publication of the Facsimile edition of Codex II in 1974.

                      As for Guillaumont, he has a prologue and 114 sayings. The page numbering is completely different, though.

                      So I think I’ve located two Coptic editions (both from Layton’s bibliography) that were made between 1959 and 1989.

                      One is German: Leipoldt, Johannes. 1967. Das Evangelium nach Thomas koptisch und deutsch. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.

                      The other French:  Suarez, Philippe de. 1974. L'evangile selon Thomas. Marsanne: Editions Metanoia. According to google books, the subtitle of this book is: traduction, présentation et commentaries.

                      Thus, it would seem to be that there was a German/Coptic Edition and a French Coptic edition. But apparently a thirty year gap in editions in the English-speaking world.

                      Anyone seen these books or have easy access to them?