Re: [GTh] Listing the "Twins"

  • M.W. Grondin
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2011
      My recent work on multi-saying words has sometimes yielded unexpected results.
      While working on the Coptic word-pair ouNte and mNte ('have' and 'have not')
      Friday, I came across two short sayings (L41 and L70) in which these words occur
      three times each. Consulting the notes I had written in my copy of The Fifth Gospel,
      I saw that I had written above L41 "see 70?", and a similar note above L70. Because
      of the question marks, I hadn't included 41 & 70 in my initial list of pairs, but now
      I think it's clear that these do constitute a pair, so I've added them at

      Interestingly, L41 has 'have' twice and 'have not' once, while L70 has 'have' once
      and 'have not' twice. Both sayings have roughly the same structure and the same
      theme (if you have something, it'll be good for you, if not, it won't). FWIW, the
      total number of letters in the two sayings is 180 (73+107).

      I should also say that I now agree with Plisch and Ian Brown that there is a definite
      connection between L104 ("when the bridegroom leaves the bridal chamber", etc)
      and the L6/14 halves. Although the structures are different, the sharing of three
      relatively infrequent words ('fast', 'pray', and 'sin') is too significant to ignore. ('Fast'
      and 'pray' do occur elsewhere, but only in one other saying each, while 'sin' occurs

      Mike Grondin
    • M.W. Grondin
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2011
        > ('Fast' and 'pray' do occur elsewhere, but only in one other saying
        each, while 'sin'
        > occurs only in L14 and 104. Ref:
        href="http://www.gospel-thomas.net/htmfiles/fastpray.htm">http://www.gospel-thomas.net/htmfiles/fastpray.htm)

        Sorry, it wasn't my intention to ground my observations in the English, but in this case
        I inadvertently did. I overlooked the fact that the Coptic word for 'pray' in L73 is different
        than that in L14 and 104. One of the things I've tried to do with these word-displays is to
        include under each main entry other words that are synonymous with or otherwise closely
        related to the main word, especially if they're frequently translated with the same English
        word. Among other benefits, this allows the inclusion of some single-occurrence words
        like sopS that wouldn't otherwise be included in these displays, although in this case it
        tripped me up a bit. That only strengthens the case for pairing 6/14 & 104, however.

        Mike G.