RE: [GTh] Coptic Grammar (was Morpheme Separation in Layton Book)

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28 5:58 AM

      Rick,

      Thanks for this information.

      I share your cynicism about the book publishing industry and the likely post-publication price hike and am not sure that I need the third edition unless the corrections are pretty extensive or significant. Even though the Australian dollar is running very much at parity with the US one at the moment, the added postage still makes it pretty expensive.  I suspect that my colleague probably still won’t buy it because her particular area of research is Hebrew Bible – she is fascinated by languages and is excited by the possibility of learning another one, but I don’t imagine she wants or needs to go to the kind of depth that the Layton Grammar gets into.

      I have noticed that when a book is out of print, there is a lot of profiteering on second hand editions. When Crum was out of print, the second hand ones on Amazon were around $100 US more than the new ones were selling at only a few months beforehand. I got mine at a quite reasonable price (ie about half that of the new price) from an antiquarian bookseller in the Netherlands.

      Incidentally, has anyone bought one of the softcover copies of Crum – the Wipf and Stock edition? I think it’s wonderful that they’ve brought it back into print and that it’s affordable but wonder how durable such a huge volume will be in softcover.

      Regards

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England