Re: [GTh] body/tomb

  • M.W. Grondin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2011
      > Is it credible to assume that the author of Thomas' Gospel believed in "soma=sema" ?

      This question is a little opaque, Tim, but what I think you're asking is whether GTh
      presupposes a belief that the body was a "tomb" (for the soul/spirit, presumably).
      If that's it, I'd say yes. A Platonic idea, as I recall. I can see how such an idea could
      lead to asceticism on the one hand, or licentiousness on the other - the two extremes
      of gnostic ethics that Clement of Alexandria found objectionable. Quite the opposite
      of "body as temple" thinking, eh?