[gthomas] Re: The Lacuna in 101

  • joe baxter
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 18, 1999
      Also posted to cross-talk.

      At 09:08 AM 3/18/99 -0500, Michael Grondin wrote:

      >I've updated my presentation of #101 to incorporate Paterson Brown's
      >suggestion, which I think is a good one. As stated yesterday, his
      >suggestion echoes what appears to be an intentional syntactical similarity
      >already present between 'love' and 'true':
      >
      >>a) Love (ME/MRRE) your true (ME) mother, but
      >>b) Hate (MESTE-) she who bore (MISE/MEST-) you.
      >
      >A complete analysis of 101 must also include 55 and 99(b):
      >
      >(55) IS said this:
      >(a) Whoever doesn't hate his father and his mother,
      > he can become disciple to me not.
      >(b) And whoever doesn't hate his brothers and his sisters
      > and take up his cross in my way, he won't be worthy of me.

      Some time ago, on crosstalk, someone posted an interesting note suggesting
      that "hate" is somewhat inappropriate here. I don't recall the details, but
      possibly there was a suggestion coming from a back-translation into Aramaic.
      Maybe it was Jack Kilmon. Or maybe it was based on the Greek. In any case,
      the suggestion was that it didn't mean "hating" one's father and mother.
      Doesn't anyone recall this?

      With kind regards,

      Joe

    • joe baxter
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 22, 1999
        At 11:07 AM 3/19/99 -0600, Jack Kilmon wrote:

        >The Greek word MISEI is a direct but unidiomatic translation of the
        >Aramaic
        >SAneh for "hate," however, the Aramaic (and not the Greek) also means
        >"to set aside." Setting aside one's family to go about the business of
        >announcing the KOG is certainly more likely the "vox" of Jesus,
        >conforming
        >to other similar concepts in the sayings corpus.

        Thank you Jack for your insight.

        With kind regards,

        Joe