Mike Re: [GTh] Notes On Th.30

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
      At 08:20 PM 1/18/2011, M.W. Grondin wrote:

      > Is there a possibility that the "Where there are three, they are
      > godless" is a slam against the trinitarians?
      Don't know about that Bob, but what I was thinking when I was translating
      the Coptic version was that it may have been a plug for trinitarianism, as in
      "Where there are three gods, they are in [one] God." This assumes, of course,
      that the first word 'god' wasn't a mistake. Maybe the Coptic was an intentional
      reversal of the idea expressed in the Greek? Or maybe both of them were
      playing around with a saying whose original meaning was different from
      both, either because they didn't understand it, or because they wanted it to
      say something else? Ah, endless speculation!

      Mike

      There's also the possibility that the Coptic community had different ideas about the Trinity than the Greek community that produced the other copy, resulting in some sparring about how the text should read? At any rate, what I'm suggesting is that it might be a mistake to try to force the Greek and Coptic versions to read the same way in English, especially if there were underlying issues wrt the Trinity.

      Bob