Davies excerpt from Connor Book

  • M.W. Grondin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2011
      Miguel Connor has posted an excerpt from his interview with Stevan
      Davies that appeared in Connor's recent book Voices of Gnosticism:

      In this excerpt, Davies contrasts GosThom with the "Secret Book of John"
      (i.e., the Apocryphon of John), and with canonical and Eastern writings. I
      think he goes a bit off the mark when he says that the notion of the world in
      GosThom is "... the good place of the first seven days of creation ...". I would
      agree that there's a contrast to be made with ApJohn's view of the world, but
      I don't think it's that GosThom views the world as "good". Rather, it seems to
      view the world as a place of danger to one's spirit/soul. Which is not to say that
      GosThom denies that there's good in the world, but that it seems to view the good
      aspects as few and far between. In any case, comments on this piece are welcome
      here, and thanks to Google Alerts for the heads-up.

      Mike G.