[gthomas] sex

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 1999
      Tord
      > A Jesus that would PERSONALLY have anything to do with natural functions
      > like sex is unimaginable. It was OK for him to come into the world and say
      > (#16) --- "that it is dissension which I have come to cast upon the earth:
      > fire, sword, and war." --- but NOT THAT! Not sex :-)

      Calm down, Tord....

      There is a rather astounding silence on the subject, isn't there?
      Does anybody know of any sources claiming that Jesus
      had any sort of affection for a woman? I recall a hint in
      G Philip, but that's all. Mainly in the NT they grovel at
      his feet, or sit at his feet, or pour oils on him. Surely if he
      had a child we would have heard of it. There isn't even any
      anti-sex attributed to Jesus in the first century (tons of it
      later on). Just this baffling silence.

      Oh well.

      Steve

    • Tord Svenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 1999
        At 12:47 PM 3/17/99 -0500, Stevan Davies wrote:
        ---snip --------
        >Does anybody know of any sources claiming that Jesus
        >had any sort of affection for a woman? I recall a hint in
        >G Philip, but that's all.

        -------- Reply -----------
        Here are two sections from the GOP

        59. The wisdom which humans call barren is the Mother of the Angels. (Ph
        40) And the
        Mate of the [Christ] is Mariam Magdalene. The [Lord loved] Mariam more than
        [all the
        other] Disciples, [and he] kissed her often on her [mouth. (Ph 35) He
        embraced] the other
        women also, yet they said to him: Why do thou love [her] more than all of
        us? || The
        Savior┬░ replied,* he said to them: Why do I not love you as I do her?
        (*asyndeton; Th 61b, Ph
        35)

        36. There were three Mariams who walked with the Lord at all times: his
        mother and
        [his] sister and the Magdalene┬░, she who is called his mate. Thus his
        (true) Mother, Sister
        and Mate is (also) called 'Mariam'. (Mk 3:35, Th 101)
        ----------
        Making Jesus human (which includes genitals) is not looked upon with favor
        by the established religions. I recall one of my youthful experiences with
        a Catholic girlfriend while we were parked and watching the submarine races
        in Boston Harbor -- she said -- "He is risen!" And thus did we fall.
        Tord

      • Paterson Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
          Stevan Davies wrote:

          > There is a rather astounding silence on the subject, isn't there?
          > Does anybody know of any sources claiming that Jesus
          > had any sort of affection for a woman? I recall a hint in
          > G Philip, but that's all.

          there is a great deal in philip, particularly #59
          (in our numbering as found in
          www.metalog.org/philip.html
          or www.metalog.org/metagosp.txt),

          --but also ph 35, 36, 64 as well as 73, 79, 86, 87, 109, 136, 140 etc.
          regarding the sacrament of the bridal-chamber.

          also relevant, perhaps, would be the first essay, "the female spirit",
          in the commentary section of our website.

          the only relevant passage in the canonical gospels is at jn 20:17,
          where APTW might be rendered as "caress" rather than merely
          "touch" (as it additionally means "kindle").

          +paterson