[gthomas] Re: The "bed" in #61

  • Tord Svenson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 1999
      At 08:57 AM 3/5/99 -0500, Mike Grondin wrote:
      >Meyer's translation:
      >
      >>(a) Two will rest on a COUCH; one will die, one will live.
      >>(b) Salome said, "Who are you, mister?
      >>You have climbed onto my COUCH and eaten from my table...
      >
      >The word 'couch' above is the Coptic word '6LO6'. In private communication,
      >Paterson Brown insists that '6LO6' be translated primarily 'bed',
      >secondarily 'bier', but never 'couch'.

      ------- Reply------------
      I believe that this was the post that got the ball rolling in what proved
      to be a nearly two week long discussion of bed or couch. As a sort of
      simple person, it seems to me that if Salome said that Jesus climbed into
      her bed that any simple sort of person like myself would take that to mean
      that Jesus had SEXUAL RELATIONS with her. If people want to look for
      allegories -- "eaten from my table" could mean that he took his manly
      pleasure with her :-)

      Isn't that, more or less, the significance of couch (as a dinning couch
      that we see in all those Cecil B DeMille 1950s Hollywood epics like
      "Anthony and Cleopatra") versus bed?

      A Jesus that would PERSONALLY have anything to do with natural functions
      like sex is unimaginable. It was OK for him to come into the world and say
      (#16) --- "that it is dissension which I have come to cast upon the earth:
      fire, sword, and war." --- but NOT THAT! Not sex :-)
      Tord