Re: [GTh] one in the logion 67

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
      [Duckeun Cho]:
      > Logion 67, translation:
      "The one who knows All, but is lacking one he has
      > been lacking All." I
      think the "one" means the knowledge that the keystone
      > rejected by
      the builders is Jesus, said in logion 66. This means that GTh
      > says that
      this knowledge is the core of the gnosis?

      I don't know about that, but what I noticed from looking at various
      translations of L.67 is that there's a difference among them on whether the two
      letters 'af' that immediately follow OUA/OYA ('one') is supposed to be attached
      to the OYA or is rather a prefix on the following verb. According to the translation
      you give, it's regarded as a prefix to the verb 'lack/need'. In other translations
      (including my interlinear), it's treated as a suffix of the word 'OUAA-F', which
      means 'himself'. So does L.67 mean 'if he lacks one (thing)' or does it mean
      'if he lacks himself'? Right off the top of my head, I can't think of a compelling
      argument one way or another. I will say, however, that 'if he lacks himself' is
      thematically consistent with L3.5 ("if you don't know yourselves, then you live
      in poverty and you are poverty"). It could be argued that "knowing yourself"
      (in the "right" way) is the "core of [Thomistic] gnosis".