one in the logion 67

  • cdkskyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      Logion 67, translation: "The one who knows All, but is lacking one he has been lacking All."

      I think the "one" means the knowledge that the keystone rejected by the builders is Jesus, said in logion 66. This means that GTh says that this knowledge is the core of the gnosis?

      ------------------
      My name is Duckeun Cho.
      I'm a pastor of Yumgok Presbyterian Church in South Korea, Yumgok Village in Seoul.

      Sincerely Yours!
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
        [Duckeun Cho]:
        > Logion 67, translation:
        "The one who knows All, but is lacking one he has
        > been lacking All." I
        think the "one" means the knowledge that the keystone
        > rejected by
        the builders is Jesus, said in logion 66. This means that GTh
        > says that
        this knowledge is the core of the gnosis?

        I don't know about that, but what I noticed from looking at various
        translations of L.67 is that there's a difference among them on whether the two
        letters 'af' that immediately follow OUA/OYA ('one') is supposed to be attached
        to the OYA or is rather a prefix on the following verb. According to the translation
        you give, it's regarded as a prefix to the verb 'lack/need'. In other translations
        (including my interlinear), it's treated as a suffix of the word 'OUAA-F', which
        means 'himself'. So does L.67 mean 'if he lacks one (thing)' or does it mean
        'if he lacks himself'? Right off the top of my head, I can't think of a compelling
        argument one way or another. I will say, however, that 'if he lacks himself' is
        thematically consistent with L3.5 ("if you don't know yourselves, then you live
        in poverty and you are poverty"). It could be argued that "knowing yourself"
        (in the "right" way) is the "core of [Thomistic] gnosis".