The Gospels of Thomas & Jefferson

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2010
      Google Alerts has drawn my attention to a nice article written by Erik
      Reece which originally appeared in Harper's in Dec, 2005, but which
      has just been posted to a lit/poetry blog. Entitled Thomas Jefferson's
      Bible and the Gospel of Thomas, Reece's article draws connections
      between those two texts and the Transcendentalism of Emerson, in
      relationship to the author's personal story and American religion in
      general. One of the things I liked about it was that Reece has his facts
      right - including that there were 12 books in the NH jar. Check it out
      if you feel inclined:

      (The original at Harpers.org evidently costs money to access.)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI