Re: [GTh] Misogyny in L.114?

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2010
      [Andrew Criddle]:
      > I agree that the
      term misogynist carries problematic modern baggage
      > However I think
      we need a term for overt hostility towards the femimine
      > (a
      hostility that certainly need not involve any hostility towards individual
      > women) and I think misogynist may be the best term available. Passages
      > like Zostrianos "Flee the madness and the bondage of feminity and and choose
      > for yourselves the
      salvation of masculinity" seem clearly misogynist in this sense.
      > L.114 is not as strong as Zostrianos but probably reflects the
      same ideas.

      One might add "Woe to you all who love intimacy with womankind and
      polluted intercourse with them!" from Thomas the Contender (NHL, p.206).
      No wonder this brand of Gnosticism died out, and good riddance to it!
      (This comment from one who welcomes the suffering of such woes!)
      But what I see in GTh is a much more moderate view on this and several
      other matters. The only hostility in L.114 comes from Peter, and his view
      is refuted. Elsewhere, there is hostility expressed towards one's natural
      parents, but that's both genders. There's even a hint of a heavenly mother,
      in addition to a heavenly father. The two women in the text, Salome and
      Mariam, are treated with respect by the Jesus-character, not hostility. Not
      to mention the talk in L22 of making the male and female one and the same.
      All of this seems to me to markedly conflict with the material you and
      I have quoted from external texts. Perhaps those later texts were an out-
      growth of the earlier, more moderate GTh?