[gthomas] The proper use of Crum

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 1999
      P.Brown writes:
      >saying that walter crum is unreliable because he did his immense work
      >by hand instead of mechanically or indeed electronically, is scarcely
      >worthy of comment.

      Shame on you, Paterson. You've had philosophical training - you ought to
      recognize a "straw man" argument when you give one. No one used the word
      'unreliable' or anything close to it. I've merely urged that we recognize
      the limitations of Crum's work, and that we not use it in an unreasoning
      way. The OED of Coptic dictionaries has yet to be written. You must agree
      in practice, because the method that you actually follow in your own
      translation is to use Crum as a guide, not to slavishly conform to his
      every definition. Given that this is your own method, you must forgive me
      for saying that it rings rather hollow when you insist that others (Meyer,
      Lambdin, and Layton) have no right to do the same thing.