At Academia.edu

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2010
      Sadly, my experience so far with Facebook indicates that it isn't suited to
      the purpose for which I joined, which was to gain access to the informal
      thinking of biblical scholars. I have discovered another venue, however,
      which has some promise. It's called Academia.edu, and is linked to FB
      in such a way that one can easily transfer information from one to the
      other. Unlike FB, where the basic relationship of "friends" needs to be
      confirmed by both parties, one can "follow the work" of whomever one
      likes. Indeed, the motto of AE is "follow research". The whole tone of it
      is different from FB, with the uploading of papers being one of the main
      activities. My only qualm is that I haven't seen much interaction yet -
      though that can be done as easily as at FB. We'll see how it works out.
      (BTW, though many of the participants are academics, there's a hefty -
      about 30,000 - contingent of "independent researchers" like me.)

      In other news, I was recently notified by Google Alerts that a fellow had
      written a piece on GosThom for "The Happy Atheist Forum" (which I'd
      never heard of before). It was actually quite a good piece, so I added a
      few of my own comments, including a plug for our group. See it all at: