RE: [GTh] Christological Peculiarities

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2010
      Ariadne: Yes, the blog entry does disagree. And I suspect that most
      believe that Paul was paraphrasing Isaiah 64:4 and not GTh 17. And I can
      see why. But I agree with Stephen Patterson:

      "[I]n 1 Corinthians 2 he uses the wisdom style of these opponents to compose
      his own 'wisdom speech' (2:6-16), only to correct their views with a few
      well-placed Pauline twists. Interestingly, in the midst of this speech Paul
      quotes a saying from the Gospel of Thomas. . . .The version of the saying
      quoted here by Paul is not paralleled word-for-word in Thomas, but reflects
      the sort of differences one would expect to have resulted from oral
      transmission (from "Paul and the Jesus Tradition," Harvard Theological
      Review 84 [1991] 36-37)."

      RICK: Thanks for doing the work to find this. Maybe it was that "mystical
      experience" you speak of or maybe you don't give yourself enough credit for
      your scholarly proclivities.

      I dug up the HTR article this afternoon and will take some time reading it
      more closely later this week to see exactly what precedes what he wrote.
      Maybe he has an argument others have missed.

      My initial hunch though is that if we look closely enough at the thrust of
      the article that **maybe** it will still be little difficult to support to
      support the 43 CE dating.

      On a related note, how did you arrive at the 89% figure for "authentic words
      of Jesus"?

      Rick Hubbard