[gthomas] Re: 6LO6 in #61

  • S. Patterson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 15, 1999
      Dear Thomas Group:

      Enough on 6LO6 already.

      Mr. Brown is right; Crum is the authority on the matter, at least for now.
      Crum is very clear: the word translates the Greek word kline most of the
      time. So the question is not what does 6LO6 mean, but what does kline
      mean, unless, of course, anyone still wishes to argue that Thomas was not
      written originally in Greek. Kline can apparently mean "bed," but it can,
      and usually does mean "dining couch."

      Mr. Brown keeps saying that all the biblical references in Crum are to
      "bed." That may well be so. But the Bible does not exhaust the semantic
      range of a Greek word. Nor do Crum's testimonia exhaust the biblical
      instances wherein 6LO6 might be used. I do not know how often dining
      couches are discussed in the Bible, but if anyone were to find an instance
      and look it up in the Coptic NT I am sure we would find 6LO6. The bottom
      line is, however, that Crums biblical testimonia do not prove anything.
      The question is, what does kline mean. Any beginning Greek student can
      tell you this on a vocabulary quiz: dining couch! That is why everyone
      who has published a translation of Thomas has translated it thus. Marv
      Meyer and I are not the final word, but we can at least read Crum!

      A question for Paterson Brown: why is this so important to you?

      Yours,
      Steve P.