RE: [GTh] Expensive Sayings Commentaries

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2010

      Rick says:

      Libraries are great and wonderful things- no doubt about it. And, equally
      without doubt the commentary could be had from a library HOWEVER some
      categories of books simply need to be ready-to-hand for reference purposes
      and it seems to me something like a commentary falls in that general
      category (commentaries are not read-once -and-reshelf kinds of things). ...

      [>] andBob replies

      That's true, but we were discussing reviewing a commentary to see if it fits your needs, weren't we? One can use ILL to preview a copy and then, if you like it well enough, fork over the change to get your own reference copy. There really is no need to BUY a book just to REVIEW it.

      I recently used the NAU library for just such a purpose-- to review a book that has some of my family's history in it to see if I wanted it enough to get my own copy. In this case, I decided that it didn't have enough in it that I wanted, to justify the purchase price.

      [>]and Judy responds
      One problem with ILL is that many libraries believe that someone needs to pay the fee for getting the loan. Often the borrower. Then it becomes a balancing act – if you think the book will be worth buying, then why pay the loan fee on top of the purchase price?

      [>] Judy