Re: [GTh] Electronic Coptic Tests, In General

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25 11:03 AM
      http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3574807/TLG__PHI__Cd-rom_E_with_Antiquarium_2.0

      > This URL looked promising (albeit possibly illegal), and the description
      > indicated that the file contains two PHI CD's, plus a piece of software
      > needed to use them, so I tried to download. That's where I ran into
      > problems. It seems that there's a "Torrent" file involved, and my system
      > doesn't know how to handle it. That's something I have to work on ...

      I've now worked on it. I was able to download the Torrent file, and
      eventually get the included program (Antiquarian) to work. Unfortunately,
      the program doesn't access the Coptic files on PHI-7! I know they're
      there, because I looked at them (one for CNT, one for NH) outside of
      Antiquarian. But the program doesn't show them in its list of contents
      of PHI-7 (possibly because of lack of a Coptic font).

      One thing I think I can surmise from the look of the Coptic data files, and
      how other files are displayed, is that page-line numbers (still less saying
      numbers) aren't included. So even if one were to use another piece of
      software to access the PHI Coptic files, the display would probably be
      inferior to Marcion (which adds page-line numbers), and chances are
      that that other program would be no more user-friendly. In other words,
      Marcion is looking much better to me today.

      Addendum:
      Having written the above, I checked the Marcion site to see whether
      anything had been done about my report of the errors in the GThos
      file. As it turns out, Vagrantos (Milan) has now posted this comment:

      "Thank you very much, text should be numbered now correctly."

      However, I don't see that any of Marcion's public files have yet been
      updated. I'll be anxious to download the new data when it's posted.

      Mike G.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25 3:01 PM
        Mike Wrote:

        > In other words, Marcion is looking much better to me today.

        I suppose I should be grateful for having even this, but I have to say the
        Marcion application is the hardest most convoluted piece of software I have
        come across in years. I've spent hours fiddling with it and never have been
        able to accomplish much. Oh well, as I say better than nothing, I suppose.

        Rick