Re: [GTh] Horner and the Disappearance of Bibliacoptica.com

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2010
      Further information on the relationship between the Takla and
      Wells versions of the Coptic NT has been provided to me by
      Hany Takla in off-list email. I had sent him a copy of my last list
      note on the subject, and wrote to him as follows:

      "I thought you might be interested in the following note that I sent to
      my GThomas list yesterday, especially since your name came into
      it. If you have any observations on any of the issues discussed here,
      I'd love to hear them. (I won't pass them along to the list unless you
      give your permission to do so.)"

      Hany's response was as follows:

      "In explanation I would like to add that the Coptic CD that was initially
      distributed by the Society had four modules of my own work that included
      a Course in Bohairic with recorded pronunciation, Bohairic-English
      Dictionary, An Annual Lectionary of the Feasts in the Coptic Church, and
      the Coptic New Testament. Since we exhausted the stock of this CD, the
      first two modules were licensed to COEPA organization in Australia to
      distribute with one of their electronic products. The New Testament CD
      became a separate CD and was distributed for a reduced price when
      ordered as you have seen. As you know the Sahidic Text was based on
      the latest complete texts published after Horner's edition. I added the
      superlineal strokes and changed the word division to better serve the
      grammatical meaning. However, despite many reviews there were multiple
      typos. J. Warren Wells was good enough to correct many if not all these
      typos in his produced text.

      "Currently I set up for the Society a subscription site
      (http://demo.stshenouda.info/tc.htm) that houses all the separate files for
      the New Testament that were on the CD plus all the periodicals that the
      Society has issued or are currently issued along with contents of some of
      our library holdings and our own manuscript collection. With regards to the
      New Testament I will be making corrections to the texts periodically and
      post them. Also I am planning to release some of the Old Testament Texts
      that I have done from either published sources or manuscript copies in the
      Microform library of the Society. This information can be distributed as
      you see fit. Take care."

      I have expressed my thanks to Hany for sharing this information with us.

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
        Thanks Mike for digging into this. On two or three occasions I have gone to
        the St Shenouda site at http://www.stshenouda.com/society/copticcd.htm to
        order the Coptic NT CD and every time was unsuccessful when I clicked the
        "Submit" button (got the dreaded "Page No Found" message.

        As an alternative I downloaded the Sahidica material but I'm not too keen on
        the font used with it. As far as the Marcion product I agree with other
        observations that it is simply too cumbersome to be workable.

        But back to the Takla resource: Is the material offered there (via
        subscription) searchable? What is the format like (presumably all the
        strokes are there)?

        Rick