Preliminary Report on the Marcion Program

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22 12:18 AM
      This evening, I installed the latest version of the Marcion
      program (put out just a few days ago), and was able to load
      the NH library texts on it and take a look at them. They are
      indexed by tractate and organized just like the original mss,
      with page and line numbers. Other than that, I was rather
      disappointed. Aside from a very unintuitive feel to the software,
      the main problem that I see with Marcion's NT texts is that the
      spacing between words is so small that it's very difficult to tell
      where one ends and the next begins. (The size of the space
      character is a function of the font. I'd recommend that the
      developer of the Marcion font, and whoever decided to use
      it, should be flogged.)

      More specifically, the Gospel of Thomas text is a mess. At
      numerous points within the text (I counted 20), two lines are
      combined into one, thus throwing off the page-line numbering
      on subsequent lines until, some number of lines further down,
      a very short truncated line compensates for the earlier error.
      I've put in a bug report, and we'll see what happens, but as it
      stands, it's unacceptable. (This problem may be restricted to
      GTh; I checked a couple other texts and didn't notice it. It may
      have something to do with the insertion of sayings numbers
      into the GTh text.)

      As to the search mechanism, I haven't tried it yet, but the
      instructional video linked on Judy's blog indicates that it requires
      an extraordinary number of steps. (In contrast, the St. Shenouda
      CD, being pdf-based, has the built-in and easily-used search
      capability of Adobe Reader. But the drawback is that searching
      can only be done on one text at a time - e.g., each of Paul's
      letters separately! If Marcion is able to search the entire NH library
      - or the entire Coptic NT - in one fell swoop, the complications
      of the search procedure will be cheerfully tolerated.)

      As to the question of the source of Marcion's Coptic NT and
      NH texts, I've as yet been unable to locate any information.

      Mike G.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23 4:58 AM

        I hadn’t looked at the Nag Hammadi texts – I was just enthused about the ability to do a search in Crum.  However, the guy who is doing is usually responds well to suggestions.

        Judy Redman
        PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia