Re: {Disarmed} [GTh] Correlation Query

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
      > ... I notice that Koester p87 footnotes Crossan, Sayings Parallels: A
      > Workbook for the Jesus Tradition. I don't have this book. Is it possible
      > that this Koester reference, and not Koester himself, was the source of
      > the 100 (or 110) member Mk/GThos list that Stevan used as his
      > computational basis?

      I don't have the Crossan book either, but the numbers 100/110 are
      synoptic parallels, not Markan parallels. Furthermore, from other Crossan
      writings, it might be inferred that these aren't whole sayings, but rather
      parts of sayings, which number in total (paralleled and not) somewhere
      around 145, as I recall.

      Mike G.
    • E Bruce Brooks
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
        Mike,

        Thanks for the clarification; that does indeed make things fit a little
        better. Koester's various sets of parallels are given in difficult form, and
        some of his lists overlap, so again I can't report a total number right
        offhand. But it looks promising. If the source was in fact Koester's Ancient
        Christian Gospels, and if his sublists were combined, and if his doublets
        were uncombined and listed twice and not just once, we might be getting up
        around a hundred. Stevan, if you are listening, does this sound at all
        familiar?

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks
        Warring States Project
        University of Massachusetts at Amherst

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
          Bruce wrote:
          ||Meanwhile, I notice that Koester p87 footnotes Crossan, Sayings Parallels:
          ||Workbook for the Jesus Tradition. I don't have this book. Is it possible
          that this
          ||Koester reference, and not Koester himself, was the source of the
          ||100 (or 110) member Mk/GThos list that Stevan used as his computational
          ||basis?
          [||]
          I just did a quick check of the index in Crossan's book you mention. The
          total number of correlations between GTh and his data base of Jesus sayings
          totals 186!

          Anyone care to bid 200?

          Rick Hubbard