Re: [GTh] On the Web: An Interview with Simon Gathercole

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
      Thanks for your note, Doug. I was also chastened offlist by a respected
      scholar of my acqaintance. I should tell you that at heart I'm an ardent
      individualist, but in the present case, I've apparently come to associate
      evangelicals with fundamentalism. Wondering to myself now why that is,
      I see that part of it is the original statement of Evangelical principles, which
      asserts inerrantism - a view which I regard as both wrong-headed and
      inimical to sound biblical scholarship (hence its relevance here). But, as
      I am now learning, there may be as many Evangelicals who don't follow
      that statement of principles to the letter as there are Catholics (at least in
      this country) who don't follow Papal pronouncements to the letter. In any
      case, I much appreciate the corrective feedback I've been receiving.

      Mike
    • Doug Milford
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
        Thanks for your reply Mike. You would not be the first to equate evangelicalism with fundamentalism, nor will you be the last. One grew out of the other and there remains overlap, but there are vast and important differences between the type of scholars and scholarship you will find at a Fuller vs, say, Bob Jones or a Wheaton vs most bible institutes. Noll, who I invoked in my earlier message, is now at Notre Dame -- but while he was at Wheaton he wrote another book, _The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind_, in which he took dispensational theology to task.

        I think of David Scholer, who passed away a couple years ago. He was at Fuller for many years and a top rate scholar. He is just one example, but there are many others.

        Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

        Doug

        P.S. There is considerable debate within evangelicalism over what "inerrant" actually means.