[gthomas] Re: Who was Salome? (61)

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 1999
      On 10 Mar 99 at 8:29, Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > Since Mark mentions her by name while Matthew calls her
      > "the mother of the sons of Zebedee," she appears to have
      > been Y'shua's aunt (Miryam's sister). I suspect that
      > she is one of the women who was supporting the group
      > "out of her means." It also suggests that Uncle Zeb's
      > fishing business was somewhat lucrative. If this is
      > so, it would explan aunt Salome's attempt to get her
      > nephew to give special status to his two cuz's.

      Certainly Matthew mentions the mother of the sons of Zebedee (27.56) in
      parallel with Mark's "Salome" (15.40), but one of the earliest interpretations
      of this passage, the fragment of a Gospel Harmony found at Dura-Europos (late
      2nd Century?) probably takes them to be two separate people. The fragment
      (formally thought to be a fragment of Tatian's Diatessaron, though an article
      to be published in April will cast doubt on that identification) begins:

      . . . ZEBED]AIOU KAI SALWMH K[A]I hAI GYNAIKES [EK TW]N AKOLOUQHSANTWN A[U]TWi
      APO THS [GALILAI]AS hORWSAI ton ST[AURWQENT]A.

      Apologies if this is beginning to stray off-topic, but it sheds a little light
      at least on Salome.

      Mark

      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Aseneth Home Page
      Recommended New Testament Web Resources
      World Without Q

    • Didymus5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 1999
        Mark makes Salome a most important character. She is witness both to the
        crucifixion and the resurrection. She also appears in GTh and other gnostic
        writings. She is ignored by the other synoptic writers and editors. Morton
        Smith suggests this silence results from her importance to the gnostics,
        which later synoptics are repudiating. I think it was Smith who pointed out
        that some apocryphalal writings make her the midwife at the birth of Jesus
        and others a Doubter, like Thomas, in that she asked for tactile proof that
        the mother of Jesus was still a virgin. Chris Merillat

      • Didymus5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 1999
          Further to yesterday's file, the story about a Salome present at Mary's giving
          birth, questioning whether she was still a virgin, comes from the
          Protevangelium of James. It is striking that Mark has three women witness the
          crucifixion and the angelic young man in the empty tomb. Salome and Mary
          Magdalene were favorite disciples for the Gnostics. Those interested in
          Salome stories might like to look Bauckman's article in Novum Testamentaum, 33
          , 1991. Chris M.