Re: [GTh] On the Web: An Interview with Simon Gathercole

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 1:33 PM
      > ... I'm somewhat dismayed by [Gathercole's] evangelical

      background and connections ...

      I'd better back off from this right quick before I get skewered
      for it. I was basing this mostly on a statement in the intro to
      the evangelical interview, according to which "... he taught a PhD
      seminar on the New Perspective on Paul at Trinity Evangelical
      Divinity School ... ". Obviously, this statement doesn't support
      my hasty conclusion, for which I apologize and hereby withdraw.

      BTW, I failed to mention that the heads-up for this interview
      came from Google Alerts, which I've noted previously as a
      good source for new GThos stuff on the web. It comes in
      my email daily about noon. (It doesn't, however, cover e-lists.)

      M.Grondin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3 12:43 AM
        It appears that my initial impression of Simon Gathercole's
        evangelical ties was correct. He's listed as a contributor to
        the blog "Evangelical Textual Criticism", run by Peter Head
        and Tommy Wasserman, the members of which are expected
        to present a statement of theological purity (my words, but
        check their accuracy for yourselves):

        This is not to diminish Gathercole's work in any way. Perhaps
        this will change my attitude toward evangelical scholarship,
        which up to now hasn't been favorable. (Among other things,
        I'm not keen on scholars trumpeting their religious beliefs,
        which Evangelicals seem prone to do - nor on scholars who
        seem to regard their work as part of a Christian "mission".
        Gathercole doesn't seem to do that - though he does oddly
        mention sin at one point in the interview:

        "People are all too willing to believe that the church has concealed
        the truth. It’s partly a cultural thing and partly is fed by the fact that the
        church sometimes does cover things up, but it’s also a result of sin:
        people don’t want to believe the truth and so cast around for other
        explanations instead."

        Hopefully, Simon was smiling when he said that.

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI
      • Stephen Carlson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 5:13 AM
          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Michael Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
          > It appears that my initial impression of Simon Gathercole's
          > evangelical ties was correct.
          >
          > This is not to diminish Gathercole's work in any way. Perhaps
          > this will change my attitude toward evangelical scholarship,
          > which up to now hasn't been favorable.

          It should be kept in mind that British evangelicals tend to be more
          scholarly than their American counterparts. (For one, I think their
          language skills are often better--both modern and ancient.) Well,
          at least that's my general impression, but I do try to take each
          scholar's work on an individual basis.

          Stephen Carlson
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3 9:37 AM
            > It should be kept in mind that British evangelicals tend to be more
            > scholarly than their American counterparts. (For one, I think their
            > language skills are often better--both modern and ancient.) Well,
            > at least that's my general impression, but I do try to take each
            > scholar's work on an individual basis.

            Quite right, Stephen. And thanks for the distinction, which hadn't
            occurred to me (and which I'm happy to accept, being of some
            British blood myself :-). Gathercole's academic credentials are
            of course impeccable. None of that Ozarks Divinity School that
            we find in the States.

            Come to think of it, perhaps the Evangelical Textual Criticism
            blog is Brit-heavy? 'Peter Head' sounds like it. My grandfather's
            name was 'House'. Gotta love those imaginative British names!

            Cordial regards,
            Mike
          • Doug Milford
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3 10:24 AM
              I'm not sure where you get the "Ozarks Divinity School" idea
              concerning evangelicals Mike.

              In fact, I suspect you will find many NT faculty in flagship
              evangelical institutions, such as Wheaton, Fuller, and Trinity, to be
              Brit heavy -- especially if you factor in where they were educated.

              Mark Noll has attempted to quantify this in his book, _Between Faith
              and Criticism: Evangelicals, Scholarship, and the Bible in America_:

              http://books.google.com/books?id=m7cVN-1Kc6QC&dq=noll+faith+criticism&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=BU5YTKraI4KB8gbBw6CHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

              I agree that sticking to "each scholar's work" is the way to go. In my
              estimation this is not the place for evangelical bias or
              condescension.

              Doug Milford
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3 12:21 PM
                Thanks for your note, Doug. I was also chastened offlist by a respected
                scholar of my acqaintance. I should tell you that at heart I'm an ardent
                individualist, but in the present case, I've apparently come to associate
                evangelicals with fundamentalism. Wondering to myself now why that is,
                I see that part of it is the original statement of Evangelical principles, which
                asserts inerrantism - a view which I regard as both wrong-headed and
                inimical to sound biblical scholarship (hence its relevance here). But, as
                I am now learning, there may be as many Evangelicals who don't follow
                that statement of principles to the letter as there are Catholics (at least in
                this country) who don't follow Papal pronouncements to the letter. In any
                case, I much appreciate the corrective feedback I've been receiving.

                Mike
              • Doug Milford
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3 1:00 PM
                  Thanks for your reply Mike. You would not be the first to equate evangelicalism with fundamentalism, nor will you be the last. One grew out of the other and there remains overlap, but there are vast and important differences between the type of scholars and scholarship you will find at a Fuller vs, say, Bob Jones or a Wheaton vs most bible institutes. Noll, who I invoked in my earlier message, is now at Notre Dame -- but while he was at Wheaton he wrote another book, _The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind_, in which he took dispensational theology to task.

                  I think of David Scholer, who passed away a couple years ago. He was at Fuller for many years and a top rate scholar. He is just one example, but there are many others.

                  Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

                  Doug

                  P.S. There is considerable debate within evangelicalism over what "inerrant" actually means.