Monthly Report for July 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2010
      As I feared, our July activity was lower than that same month
      in six of the seven preceding years. Furthermore, we haven't
      had a slower month since last March. Although Yahoogroups
      (see our homepage) shows 20 messages for July, there
      were actually only 18 (two were related to a mistaken posting
      and were deleted). That's far short of our goal of 45 per
      month (1.5 per day). Furthermore, 13 of the 18 were from me,
      so group participation fell off a cliff as well. Fortunately, we
      had built up a reserve for the year in the first six months, so
      that we're still ahead of our 7-month goal (370 v. 315.)

      That this isn't indicative of a general decline in elists may be
      shown by comparison with Crosstalk. They had looked to
      be in permanent decline, and we had beaten them rather easily
      every month since May, 2009, but this past month they had
      three times more messages than we had (54 v. 18). Now I have
      to admit that some of that was my own doing, given that the
      message I crossposted to both lists led to some significant
      amount of discussion on Crosstalk. But why did it - as well as
      two excerpts from Bruce Brooks in response - die here?

      The good news out of the Crosstalk story, I suppose, is that a list
      can languish for awhile, even for a long while, and then suddenly
      experience a spurt of activity. The bad news is that these sudden
      spurts don't last; they don't lead to any permanent uptick in traffic.
      That's why we try to maintain a steady flow from month to month.

      Our thanks go out to Bob Schacht (2 messages), Rick Hubbard,
      Lair Amaro, and Tom Hickcox (1 each), even as we encourage
      much greater subscriber-participation this coming month.

      M.Grondin