Re: [GTh] Hurtado Meets a Troll

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2010
      At 12:04 PM 7/20/2010, Michael Grondin wrote:

      Hi Bob,

      I want to make clear what I'm sure we both understand, viz.,
      that it isn't the particular view that the blog-pest is promoting
      that's objectionable - it's the pattern of bad behavior (to my
      mind, not unlike preaching:-). Some aspects are these:

      1. An overabundance of comments, or extremely long ones.
      2. Frequent unprovoked repetition of parts of the "sermon".
      3. Misrepresentation of contrary views.
      4. Polemical responses to others, rather than engagement.
      5. Questioning the competence of anyone who disagrees.
      (Including, quite often, most of the guild of NT scholars.)

      This is where List protocols can be helpful, because these aspects of "bad behavior" can be on a list of things that can put a participant on the "moderated" list. This is above all a protection for the moderators, so that they cannot be accused of launching a "personal vendetta" against the miscreant. That's what the list protocols for CrossTalk (now XTalk) were designed to deal with.

      I should add that internet pests aren't just commentators on the
      blogs of others; sometimes they run blogs themselves, wherein
      they exhibit the same patterns as above. Internet biblical pests
      (B-blogger Loren Rosson calls them 'biblical cranks') may some-
      times have enough knowledge to sound like they know what they're
      talking about, and may even sometimes exploit some shortcomings
      in biblical studies, but they're short of the wisdom needed to avoid
      the fundamental mistakes of taking molehills to be mountains, and
      of distorting the data to fit their theories.

      Loren should know  :-)
      He was on CrossTalk back when we had our own share of "Biblical cranks."
      Hmmmmm. In what category would you put Yuri Kuchinsky?  :-)

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University