Re: [GTh] Re: Greek vs Coptic Thomas

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 25, 2010
      > Here is one possible reconstruction of P.Oxy. 1 (Logion 28 ending):
      > line 21 -earts and they do not see, yet I marvel at how
      > line 1 this great wealth came to dwell in this poverty.

      Hi Adrian,
      The test of this would be to see if the Greek would work out, but
      I'm inclined to agree with Attridge et al that the bottom portion
      of the page is missing. In fact, it appears to this untrained
      eye that the page was torn. The bottom edge is rather jagged,
      with extended fibers, unlike the edges I've seen which were
      worn away by the normal processes of time. It was originally
      part of a codex, BTW, so given its separation from the original
      codex and its presence in a garbage dump, I think it's safe to
      assume an ancient attempt to destroy. Tearing the page in half
      would be a natural part of that. As to the appearance of the edge,
      my guess is that when one tries to tear a piece of papyrus in half,
      its overlapping fiber construction causes a jagged tear rather
      than a clean one, but that's only an untrained guess, mind you.
      Jack Kilmon could tell us, if he's still listening in.
      Mike G.