Re:

  • Ian Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      I have been working with the Greek fragments recently in order to determine the similarities and differences between the Greek and Coptic (the rest of the month's project) and I think I can help re: saying 33.

      Saying 33 is located on P. Oxyrhynchus Plate 1 Recto on lines 20-22. The thing about this is that line 22 is almost completely absent from the document. All that we can actually translate is "Jesus says that which you hear in one ([e]is) ear, this (to[uto]) […]". The 1897 translators incorrectly (at least based on Coptic Thomas) assumed that this was some kind of presentation of contrary facts (similar to saying 32 preserved in full immediately preceding this saying). The translation of "but the other ear thou hast closed" (funky 1897 lingo) is a creation of the translators and is not based the Greek text, but their best guess as to how the saying ended.

      That being said, I am also of the opinion that the Greek is the original, and that it was as similar as can be with the Oxyrhynchus fragments.

      ian