Re: [GTh] Re: Probability of No Mark Parallels for 29 Sayings in Thomas

    Message 1 of 56 , May 4, 2010
      Richard V. wrote:
      > I could swear you thought there was something special about
      > single saying Coptic blocks, and about them being moved around.

      Well, there is some truth to your various paraphrases of my views,
      but I'm not happy with the way you put it. I have written about the 9
      single-saying blocks, and have speculated about the possibility of
      rearrangement of blocks in general (not just those 9), but it seems
      to me too far-fetched that blocks would have been intended to be
      moved around in order to enlarge the non-Markan area that you've
      pointed to in GThomas. Furthermore, the absence of Markan
      parallels in that area may not have been intentional, but rather an
      unintended consequence of something else. I notice in that area
      what appear to be a relatively large number of sayings unparalleled
      not only in Mark, but in the other gospels as well. Have you looked
      at the distribution of unparalleled sayings in the text? That would
      seem to provide a needed control on your results.

      > Have I got the Coptic blocks right in...
      > http://www.kingdomofthefather.com/Rainbow19.pdf

      As far as I can see, no. There are 24 blocks (including the last,
      even though it doesn't extend to the right-hand margin), but I can
      make out only about 10 dotted lines in your diagram (the dotted
      lines indicating breaks between blocks.) I've appended a list to
      this note to check against. (I tried to post my blocks spreadsheet
      as a Group file, but I can't do so right now because the system
      is temporarily treating me as a non-member.) Of particular note
      is that most of the single-saying blocks are clustered at the end;
      6 of the last 8 blocks are single sayings, in a pattern 3-1-3-1.

      > ... yes, it's 32 in a row, the 29 comes from one of the "He who has
      > two ears had better listen."'s Granted in Mark, but shouldn't be
      > included.

      It's best to be specific, if nothing else than to save others from having
      to figure out where a number came from, when you yourself have the
      answer at hand. Within the 32-saying range from 67 thru 98, the "ears"
      thingy occurs at L96. So the number 29 is evidently the size of the
      range from 67 thru 95.

      Mike G.
      Appendix: Sayings-blocks in GThomas
      01: thru saying 9
      02: thru saying 19
      03: thru saying 21
      04: thru saying 22*
      05: thru saying 41
      06: thru saying 42*
      07: thru saying 47
      08: thru saying 54
      09: thru saying 64
      10: thru saying 67
      11: thru saying 70
      12: thru saying 71*
      13: thru saying 88
      14: thru saying 94
      15: thru saying 96
      16: thru saying 98
      17: thru saying 99*
      18: thru saying 100*
      19: thru saying 101*
      20: thru saying 107
      21: thru saying 108*
      22: thru saying 109*
      23: thru saying 110*
      24: thru saying 114
      (* single-saying block)
    • ronmccann1@shaw.ca
      Message 56 of 56 , May 7, 2010
        Hi Jack,

        Sorry you are feeling poorly. Hope you feel better soon.

        Whatever the outcome of these discussions, I just wanted to say that I much admire the fact that, as a historian, you picked up two historical references to two very, very early Chritian documents in Papias (The Matthean Logia and Mark's Notes) and have proposed that one was our Book of Q and the other the Gospel of Thomas.
        Quite an original idea, and well worth exploring.
        It's been been both interesting and stimulating trying to test out your intriguing proposal.
        Thanks.

        When you get back to this, I have a question.- Since the Matthean Logia is said to have been written down in Aramaic (actually, Papais calls it "Hebrew".) wouldn't back translating the Q parallel sayings in Thomas not also yield the sort of results you've found in the Markan sayings?

        Best Regards,

        Ron McCann
        Sasakatoon, Canada         PS Couldn't find a listing for a Kilmon in the phone book. Does yourr son go by a different name or like many of the younger set,  does he use only a cellphone?