[GTh] Re: Probability of No Mark Parallels for 29 Sayings in Thomas

  • kurt31416
    Message 1 of 56 , May 3, 2010
      Hi Jack,

      Interesting to me, how everyone seems to think Chapter 21 in John and 114 in Thomas were added on at the end, and if Mary Magdela was the Disciple Jesus Loved, (hello?) the two are identical. Peter trying to drive Mary out, and Jesus reading him the riot act.

      Maybe the same woman added both? (Or maybe proto-John/proto-Thomas were a matched set. Or not.)

      But my point about the Jesus sayings in Mark starts at about the Last Supper, and every saying in Mark, starting at that point, is also in John as a Five Gospels parallel/Cf. 10 sayings in a row, out of 26 total. All at the end.

      Here's the data, I just tossed up on a website, formatted in a table...
      http://www.kingdomofthefather.com/MarkParallels.html

      Richard Van Vliet
    • ronmccann1@shaw.ca
      Message 56 of 56 , May 7, 2010
        Hi Jack,

        Sorry you are feeling poorly. Hope you feel better soon.

        Whatever the outcome of these discussions, I just wanted to say that I much admire the fact that, as a historian, you picked up two historical references to two very, very early Chritian documents in Papias (The Matthean Logia and Mark's Notes) and have proposed that one was our Book of Q and the other the Gospel of Thomas.
        Quite an original idea, and well worth exploring.
        It's been been both interesting and stimulating trying to test out your intriguing proposal.
        Thanks.

        When you get back to this, I have a question.- Since the Matthean Logia is said to have been written down in Aramaic (actually, Papais calls it "Hebrew".) wouldn't back translating the Q parallel sayings in Thomas not also yield the sort of results you've found in the Markan sayings?

        Best Regards,

        Ron McCann
        Sasakatoon, Canada         PS Couldn't find a listing for a Kilmon in the phone book. Does yourr son go by a different name or like many of the younger set,  does he use only a cellphone?