Re: RickVV Re: [GTh] Re: The Scientific method

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2010
      At 04:33 PM 5/2/2010, kurt31416 wrote:

      Hi Bob,

      By random, I mean how close to algorithmically random the statistical sample is. Algortihmically random being random with the lucky rolls removed, what you approach if you roll the dice a lot.

      This is not a dice roll problem. By your framing, this would be a die with only two faces, and that makes it a coin toss.

      [snip]

      ...Flipping a coin doesn't work logically, Bob, because the probability of a saying being a Mark saying in Thomas isn't 50/50.

      Most statistics can handle this, using appropriate probabilities for each category (parallel/not parallel)

      And, as Mark sayings are used up in your dice rolling, the odds change, depending on the luck of the dice in the first part. It's a more difficult puzzle than it first appears.

      Here you make a good point, but wind up hoist on your own petard. This is the reason your dice analogy won't work, but it is a good point against my coin toss analogy. At the risk of provoking our list moderator's complaint against technicalities, this is covered in statistics by "sampling without replacement." But I shall eschew further discussion of the statistical details.

      I hope that addressed all your points, if I missed one, let me know.

      Richard Hubbard raised a series of excellent questions for you to ponder, regarding definition of terms.

      Bob Schacht
    • kurt31416
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2010
        Hi Bob,

        Well, if the equation says 99% of the time, if random, there wouldn't be a sequence that long, I'll bet on it.

        Sayings, sub sayings, sentences, words, or individual characters.

        And since the probability of a Mark (or anything in general) isn't 50/50, I just don't see your point about preferring a coin toss vs. dice. A fair dice/coin produces statistically random numbers, and if you roll/flip them a lot, it approaches maximum algorithmic randomness/maximum entropy/maximum complexity/largest compressed file size.

        Richard Van Vliet