[GTh] Re: Probability of No Mark Parallels for 29 Sayings in Thomas

  • kurt31416
    Message 1 of 56 , May 2, 2010
      Hi Jack,

      Stupid question. How come there's virtually no Mark/John sayings parallels, never more than 2 in a row, then all of a sudden, there's 10 in a row, from the Last Supper to the end of Mark? All of a sudden, it's the same Jesus talking. (J.S. Five Gospels data)

      And, of course, all the Thomas parallels clustered in the first part.

      Why would Mark's Thomas saying list only be at the beginning of Mark, and why are all the sayings in Mark from the Last Supper to the end, (none of which is in Thomas) also in John?

      Rick Van Vliet
    • ronmccann1@shaw.ca
      Message 56 of 56 , May 7, 2010
        Hi Jack,

        Sorry you are feeling poorly. Hope you feel better soon.

        Whatever the outcome of these discussions, I just wanted to say that I much admire the fact that, as a historian, you picked up two historical references to two very, very early Chritian documents in Papias (The Matthean Logia and Mark's Notes) and have proposed that one was our Book of Q and the other the Gospel of Thomas.
        Quite an original idea, and well worth exploring.
        It's been been both interesting and stimulating trying to test out your intriguing proposal.
        Thanks.

        When you get back to this, I have a question.- Since the Matthean Logia is said to have been written down in Aramaic (actually, Papais calls it "Hebrew".) wouldn't back translating the Q parallel sayings in Thomas not also yield the sort of results you've found in the Markan sayings?

        Best Regards,

        Ron McCann
        Sasakatoon, Canada         PS Couldn't find a listing for a Kilmon in the phone book. Does yourr son go by a different name or like many of the younger set,  does he use only a cellphone?