Odds n' Ends

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2010
      The monthly report for April is going to be very poor indeed. All
      three major indicators are down: (1) we'll fail to meet our monthly
      goal of 45 messages, (2) we'll be significantly below the average
      monthly volume for April, and (3) my contributions will be a larger
      portion of the total than I'd like to see. Discouraging.

      In the Thomas B-blog world, Chris Skinner continues to be an
      active force, recently winding up his 10-part series on Paul and
      Thomas. See http://pejeiesous.com. On the other hand, Andrew
      Bernhard hasn't blogged since last November. Wonder why.

      Another Andrew, Andrew Phillip Smith, has long had a group of
      his own reviews of several Thomas translations on his page
      The list includes a very complimentary review of my own work,
      with which I won't quibble, but I do want to comment on one
      remark that Smith makes in his review of a Meyer translation:

      "Along with Bentley Layton, he [Marvin Meyer] uses gender-neutral
      language whenever possible."

      Although there is some truth to this remark, it misleadingly masks the
      fact that the Layton and Meyer translations are significantly different
      with respect to gender-neutrality. Layton is better grouped with
      DeConick as translators who attempt to differentiate the 35 usages
      of the Coptic word rwme in the text. As a result, about half of them
      end up being translated as 'man' or 'men' in the DeConick and Layton
      translations. Meyer, on the other hand, makes no attempt at all at such
      a distinction. The words 'man' and 'men' never occur in his (or Steve
      Patterson's) translations except by mistake. Smith should know this,
      since I wrote a piece on this very topic for the first issue of The Gnostic,
      which he edited and published. I suspect, though, that it didn't occur to
      him to revise the rather long-standing web page in light of that article.
      (For an earlier version of the paper in question, see http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/noman.htm)

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2010
        Although not directly related to Thomas, mention should perhaps be
        made of Judy Redman's recent JBL paper critiquing Richard Bauckham's
        book Jesus and the Eyewitnesses, especially inasmuch as it (the paper)
        has been noted by Thomas B-bloggers April DeConick and Chris Skinner.

        "Judy's Research Blog" is always worth perusing, as one of a small group
        of B-blogs giving heavy focus to Thomas issues. Most directly relevant
        to her JBL paper is the entry "Eyewitness Testimony and Psychology":
        which contains a link to DeConick's blog notice. Today, Chris Skinner
        has posted "Judy Redman Critiques Bauckham in JBL":

        Nice to see these folks supporting each other in their endeavors.