Re: [GTh] Th 27

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2010
      Paterson Brown's article has got to be the shortest one
      on record, which confused me at first because I thought it
      was just the first page of a longer article. Apparently not.
      At any rate, I have a number of responses to it.

      (1) Brown's point that 27.2 calls for *continual* observance
      of sabbath rules is consistent with my own, though not based
      on the same grounds.

      (2) If we think of 'sabbaton' as meaning either 'seven' or
      'seventh', some confusion can be circumvented. 'Sabbaton'
      doesn't _mean_ 'week', though it can be used to refer to it in
      a roundabout way. Mk 16:9, e.g., is better rendered (IMO) as
      "on the first [day] of the seven", rather than "on the first [day]
      of the week".

      (3) I'm confused about the 2001 note that Brown added to the
      end of his article. Doesn't seem to me that Jn 5:19 has anything
      to do with Th27.2.

      (4) As it happens, DeConick has responded to Brown:

      "P. Brown has proposed that the final clause should be translated
      'if you keep not the (entire) week as Sabbath'. He bases this
      argument on the employment of SABBATOU in Mark 16:9,
      where it translates 'on the first day of the week ... Mark 16:9,
      however, is not the best parallel to this accretion [she regards
      both parts of 27 as accretions to kernal Thomas] which uses
      N.SABBATON in conjunction with the verbal construction
      [if you all don't keep the SAMBATON*]. This construction
      exactly parallels Leviticus 23.32 and 2 Chronicles 36.21,
      where the meaning clearly delineates observation of the
      Sabbath day." (TOGTT, p.132, bracketed material mine)

      * The two occurrences of SABBATON in Th27.2 are spelt
      differently. The first is spelt SAMBATON, which is a well-attested
      alternative spelling (a doubled 'B' gets pronounced as 'MB',
      just as a doubled 'G', as in 'evaggelion' gets pronounced as 'NG'.)
      That isn't DeConick's point, however. Her point is that the two
      Septuagint parallels to 27.2 are better evidence of meaning than
      Mk 16:9, and those parallels support a single-day interpretation.