RE: {Disarmed} RE: [GTh] Parable of the Wicked Tenants (L65)

  • Richard Hubbard
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 4:58 AM
      Yep, frustration and inconclusiveness. That pretty well describes most
      of what I do but, as they say, the journey is no less important than the
      destination. In any case, this little expedition will give me a chance
      to make some photo copies of some of the indices for another frustrating
      and dubiously conclusive project I'm working on.

      Also, the call was worthwhile because I persuaded the librarian to
      extend borrowing privileges to me. That by itself was probably worth the
      phone call.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
        Yesterday I retrieved the 5 volumes of the CGL from the library and spent
        the evening combing through the indices in search of places where XRHSTHS
        appears in the Nag Hammadi corpus. Frankly, I was not too surprised that it
        did not appear in any of the indices. By contrast however, the word XRHSTOS
        is well represented throughout the collection both in the general sense of
        "good person" and as a Proper Noun.

        As both Judy and Mike have pointed out (and as I have previously admitted)
        the absence of the word is not conclusive. Still, in my mind at least, the
        **probability** that the word XRHSTHS is the proper reading in L 65 is
        remote, to put it politely.

        "Determining probability" is a function of statistics, and I make no claims
        to being any sort of statistician, but I have spent a good amount of time
        consulting studies that examine the use of words in the GNT from a
        statistical perspective (useful, primarily, as a tool for answering
        questions of authorship). The methodology behind these inquiries is not
        without criticism, but with the correct set of data inputs and a
        well-controlled data set, it seems possible to generate a set of empirical
        numbers indicating high and low ranges of probability for the occurrence of
        any given word. I therefore attribute a high degree of credibility to this
        sort of research.

        The problem here, of course is that neither data inputs (lemmatized word
        lists) or control sets (groups of generically similar texts) exist for the
        Nag Hammadi corpus (so far as such things are available to the general
        public anyway). It is likely that *if** such data were available we could
        make some quantitative estimate of the likelihood that the reading in
        question is XRHSTHS or XRHSTOS. Given the current state of research,
        however, that analysis remains unavailable, and so what we are left with is
        a subjective (gut-hunch) judgment.

        For now, then, I'll continue to go with my gut hunch that the XRHSTHS is
        just shy of pure fantasy (to put it less politely).

        Rick

        Of