Re: [GTh] Biblioblog Boors

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2010
      Hi Bob and Judy,

      Thanks for your comments. I had really intended to focus on
      biblioblogs, and the reader responses posted thereto. From
      what Judy says, I get the impression that her software doesn't
      allow her to block out comments from specific individuals or
      addresses. I don't know whether this is generally true for all
      the major blogging programs, but it seems a shame if that's
      the case.

      Mike
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2010
        At 12:29 PM 3/25/2010, Michael Grondin wrote:

        Hi Bob and Judy,

        Thanks for your comments. I had really intended to focus on
        biblioblogs, and the reader responses posted thereto. From
        what Judy says, I get the impression that her software doesn't
        allow her to block out comments from specific individuals or
        addresses. I don't know whether this is generally true for all
        the major blogging programs, but it seems a shame if that's
        the case.

        WordPress, at least, seems to offer the kind of tools you are seeking.
        The example I have in mind is a political blog, and while the bloggers I queried are reluctant to go into details, for fear of making it easier for miscreants to game the system, they indicate that the main tool that WordPress offers is apparently a filtering capability. Apparently, filters can be established using certain key words, and it is possible to filter the IDs of commentors as well as words in their comments. In this way it is possible to allow miscreants to read, but not to comment. On this particular political blog, they have a number of volunteer "lurking moderators" who do this stuff in the background, and they really do a nice job of keeping the comments relevant and appropriate on a busy blog that generates hundreds of comments per day.

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University