Re: [GTh] Parable of the Wicked Tenants (L65)

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 12, 2010
      Bob Schacht wrote:
      > Do I understand correctly that Paterson's postulation concerns the
      > text of GTh, which is in conflict with the terminology in the synoptic
      > texts?

      The Coptic text (and there is no Greek) differs from the synoptics
      no matter how we reconstruct it. Mark and Luke describe the vineyard-
      owner as simply an 'anthrwpos'. Matthew adds (in a Greek construction
      that I don't understand) that he was a "land-owner" or some such.
      Thomas adds something as well, but apparently not the same as what
      Matthew adds. The Coptic starts out by using RWME as its equivalent
      of 'anthrwpos', and then adds what is apparently an adjective beginning
      with 'XR', but what adjective? Most translators have assumed it to be
      XRHSTOS, i.e., 'good', but Patterson et al postulate XRHSTHS, which
      they translate as 'usurer' (though my attempts to check this have been
      inconclusive; it appears that the word can also mean 'prophet' or
      'soothsayer'). You can see graphics that we developed at:

      pg45top = top of pg. 45, where L65 starts
      nhc45_xrhstos = usual reconstruction
      nhc45_xrhsths = Patterson reconstruction

      The Jesus Seminar felt that the evangelists had allegorized the parable.
      "Thomas' version was given a pink rating, while the synoptic versions
      were labelled gray because of their allegorical features." (T5G, p.511)

      In the JS explanation, one can see the reasoning that led Patterson
      et al to their reconstruction:

      "... it is ... clear that the parable of the leased vineyard once
      circulated without the allegorical overlay present in the synoptic
      versions.
      Thomas is almost certainly closer to the original version.
      "In the original story, the tenants saw an opportunity to lay claim to the
      land themselves by killing the heir, the son of the owner. Tenant farmers
      were common in Galilee at the time of Jesus, and their situation was
      undoubtedly extremely difficult. Rich landowners readily took advantage
      of them. The story probably ended with the crime. Jesus did not draw
      a moral or pass judgment. In this respect, the parable of the leased
      vineyard is comparable to the parable of the shrewd manager (Lk 16:1-7)"

      This conjecture is beyond even the minimalist version in Thomas. With
      respect to the problem raised by the close association of L66 with L65,
      as paralleled in the synoptics, T5G theorizes that "the connection of the
      Psalm [Ps 118:22] with the story preceded its allegorization. In fact,
      the connection may have been the first step in reading the parable as
      an allegory, since the rejected stone was probably understood to refer
      to Jesus in Christian circles ..." (ibid.)

      This reasonable-sounding explanation doesn't hold up well under
      critical evaluation, IMO. It leaves it unclear what could possibly have
      caused the Psalm to be appended to the Parable *before* the Parable
      had even begun to be allegorized! If one is not already thinking of Jesus
      as the son of the vineyard-owner, why immediately follow with a Psalm
      that one *does* believe refers metaphorically to Jesus?

      As I see it, the Patterson reconstruction of L65 proceeded from a
      desire to find in Thomas support for the Jesus Seminar's view of the
      origin of the parable. But why should Thomas have *ever* reflected
      the origin of the parable, if that origin had no connection to religious
      themes that Thomasines favored? No matter how early Thomas was,
      the sayings in it were surely no mere reportings of words.

      Mike
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 12, 2010
        At 01:20 AM 3/12/2010, Michael Grondin wrote:
        ...As I see it, the Patterson reconstruction of L65 proceeded from a
        desire to find in Thomas support for the Jesus Seminar's view of the
        origin of the parable. But why should Thomas have *ever* reflected
        the origin of the parable, if that origin had no connection to religious
        themes that Thomasines favored?...

        Thanks for your extensive and insightful reply. "desire to find in Thomas support for the Jesus Seminar's view of the
        origin of the parable" also = T5G's interest in making a case for the priority of GThomas.
        Whatever else one might say about the JS, one cannot really consider it to have a neutral scholarly orientation.
        It has a POV, or rather several POVs, and is not embarrassed to admit it.

        Bob in AZ

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 12, 2010
          Further comments:

          1. The connection between Stephen Patterson and the Jesus
          Seminar is, I hope, familiar to everyone here. Patterson, along
          with Marvin Meyer, produced the so-called "Scholar's Version"
          of the Gospel of Thomas, which appeared in the JSem publication
          _The Five Gospels_ in 1993. But in that translation, the lacuna in
          the first line of L65 is left as an ellipsis (...). It's also so treated in
          Meyer's 1992 book _The Gospel of Thomas_, though he notes
          (p.95) that:

          > The Coptic text may be restored to read either "A [good] person"
          > (read [XRHSTOS]) or "A creditor" (read [XRHSTHS]).

          He refers to a 1974 French article, which apparently makes that point.
          But for all this, I believe that the translation in Patterson's 1998 book
          _The Fifth Gospel_ is the first one where XRHSTHS is presented as
          the favored alternative, by being present in the main translation while
          XRHSTOS is relegated to a footnote. (It should also be noted that
          Patterson's book _The God of Jesus_, which came out the same
          year, contains a three and a half page treatment of the Parable along
          the same lines as the JSem interpretation, but more detailed. In a
          nutshell, he believes that the original point of the parable was "This
          is the world as it is; the Kingdom won't be like this.")

          2. Results of some unsystematic research:
          I first looked at the Sahidic translation of Matthew's version of the
          parable, because I was curious about what had been done with
          Matt's two-word description of the vineyard-owner. The way it came out
          in Coptic was "a man of wealth" (rwme rm-mao), so that was no help,
          since the word in the lacuna can't be 'rm-mao'.

          I then searched the Coptic of GMt to see what words starting with
          'XR' might have been used. There were several uses of XRHSTOS,
          even some where the Greek was XRISTOS ('christ'), but no
          occurrences of XRHSTHS (creditor/usurer). I looked a couple other
          places, too, without success, but this was rather random, so don't
          read too much into it. (It would be nice if one could search the entire
          Coptic NT at one fell swoop, but that's evidently not possible.)

          BTW, XRHSTOS is definitely used once in Coptic GTh - L90:

          > You all come up to me, for my yoke is a good/just one ...

          Overall, it seems to me that what's missing is examples of the Coptic
          usage of the Greek word XRHSTHS. If there's no known instances
          of its being used anywhere else, the mere fact that it fits the lacuna
          doesn't carry much weight, IMO.

          3. Some other questions that might be raised:
          a. Could L65 simply be a minimalist harmonization of the synoptic
          accounts of the parable? Doesn't seem so to me, since it both
          (1) lacks simple elements common to the synoptic accounts and
          (2) contains elements not in any of those accounts.

          b. Could L65 have been based on the Diatessaron? Seems even
          less likely, since the Diatessaron is a *maximalist* harmonization,
          so that its version of the parable contains pretty much everything
          that's in all the synoptics combined.

          That's all I can think of to add for now.

          Mike
        • Ian Brown
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 22, 2010
            Hi Michael,

            Sorry to jump on this one so late (been busy), but I thought I might point you in the direction of a book that may be of some interest.

            Recently John Kloppenborg published a massive study of the parable of the tenants, Tenants in the Vineyard: Ideology, Economics, & Agrarian Conflict in Jewish Palestine. It's a huge book but well worth the read if Th 65 interests you. Kloppenborg sides with Patterson's reading (and DeConick's too for that matter) that the Coptic should read "a creditor." Based on a literary analysis of the parable, there is no reason for us to assume that the vineyard owner was a good man, and based on the historical circumstances, there is no reason to assume anyone would have presented the vineyard owner as a good man (he was an absentee landlord who exploited the labour of others, this much is clear from Thomas alone!). Kloppenborg presents this in order to argue that Thomas represents a much more realistic story (therefore not allegorized) than does Mark. For instance Mark has the man plant the vineyard (with refernce to Isaiah 5:1-2) but then demand rent right away (vineyards take at least 5 years to become fruitful). Mark also has the tenants assume that by murdering the heir they would inherit the vineyard, there was, of course, no legal grounds for this. And finally Mark has the owner exact his own revenge, rather than go through the motions to do it legally.

            All this shows Thomas resists allegorization, and that the tendency to read the owner as a good man, and the tenants as evil, is the result of reading Thomas through Mark.

            As for Th. 66, we should not be so quick as to assume it is "appended onto Th. 65. After all it is its own chreia, complete with its own introduction (Jesus says). While its placement seems like more than a coincidence, Kloppenborg deals with this too (an argument that you should get straight from the horses mouth).

            ian

            The link for the book is below.

            http://www.amazon.com/Tenants-Vineyard-Economics-Wissenschaftliche-Untersuchungen/dp/316148908X

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 22, 2010
              Hi Ian,

              No need to apologize for a late response; your message put a welcome
              end to a week-long dry spell on the list which rather depressed me.

              > Recently John Kloppenborg published a massive study of the parable
              > of the tenants, Tenants in the Vineyard: Ideology, Economics, & Agrarian
              > Conflict in Jewish Palestine.It's a huge book but well worth the read if
              > Th 65 interests you. Kloppenborg sides with Patterson's reading (and
              > DeConick's too for that matter) that the Coptic should read "a creditor."

              Although I didn't mention it and don't have it, I was aware of
              Kloppenborg's book. I did fail to consult DeConick, however, and you're
              quite right that she has 'creditor' (with a note indicating that the lacuna
              might also be restored as "an 'honest' man".) I have some problems with
              'creditor' (or 'lender'), but at least it's better to my mind than
              Patterson's 'userer' (it was Meyer who suggested 'creditor', but that
              suggestion wasn't followed in _The Fifth Gospel_). I also wonder how
              DeConick would square her translation (of what she takes to be a kernel
              saying) with her opposition to the JSem's picture of Jesus.

              > Based on a literary analysis of the parable, there is no reason for us to
              > assume that the vineyard owner was a good man, and based on the
              > historical circumstances, there is no reason to assume anyone would
              > have presented the vineyard owner as a good man (he was an absentee
              > landlord who exploited the labour of others, this much is clear from
              > Thomas alone!).

              Well, "exploitation" is a subjective concept. To my mind, the Thomas
              version suggests that there was an agreement between the owner and
              the tenant farmers that they would give him the produce of his vineyard
              in return for him allowing them to live on the land free of charge. Whether
              that would have been a bad bargain or not (in terms of *their* time and
              place, not ours), the tenants clearly broke the agreement in an illegal
              and violent manner. The counter to Kloppenborg's analysis, I suppose,
              would be to suppose that a positive description of the vineyard-owner
              (missing from the synoptics) was felt necessary in Thomas to make sure
              that no one assumed that the vineyard-owner might have somehow
              deserved what happened to his son and servants.

              > Mark ... has the tenants assume that by murdering the heir they would
              > inherit the vineyard, there was, of course, no legal grounds for this.

              Are you sure that if the owner died without existing male issue, the
              legalities of that time and place wouldn't have favored the tenants?
              Of course, under *our* laws, the owner's estate would pass to his
              nearest relatives, but Thomas seems to agree with the synoptics
              that the tenants thought that there would be some special benefit
              to them from doing away with the owner's son.

              Aside from these matters of interpretation, the problem I have with
              XRHSTHS is that it appears to have been a very uncommon Greek
              word, and hence not one that would normally be expected to pass
              into the Coptic lexicon of Greek loan-words. In fact, I can't find it at
              all in the entire Greek NT. 'Creditor', 'lender', and 'userer' all seem to
              correspond to other Greek words. Hopefully, Rick or someone else
              who knows Greek pretty well can confirm or disconfirm this.

            • Bob Schacht
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 22, 2010
                At 12:06 PM 3/22/2010, Michael Grondin wrote:
                ...the Thomas version suggests that there was an agreement between the owner and
                the tenant farmers that they would give him the produce of his vineyard
                in return for him allowing them to live on the land free of charge.

                This is a variety of sharecropping that most Americans don't know about because we've been divorced from our agricultural roots. It is unusual if the landowner demands 100% of the crop, because it would leave the tenants with nothing to eat. To get back in touch with the gritty realities of this situation, it might help to read The Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck.

                Whether that would have been a bad bargain or not (in terms of *their* time and
                place, not ours), the tenants clearly broke the agreement in an illegal and violent manner.

                That sounds like an easy legalistic argument that does not sound much like Jesus. It sounds more pharisaic.

                We have become so cut off from our agricultural roots that it is difficult for us to fathom the realities of this situation. Reading The Grapes of Wrath, even though it is from our time and not from Jesus' time, helps. But of course, something true of both situations is that this kind of action (by landowner as well as the tenant) has consequences that cannot be ignored.

                A lot also depends on who the audience was.

                Bob Schacht
                Northern Arizona University
              • Richard Hubbard
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 23, 2010
                  On the matter of the word XRHSTHS Mike wrote:

                  |Aside from these matters of interpretation, the problem I have with
                  XRHSTHS is that
                  |it appears to have been a very uncommon Greek word, and hence not one
                  that
                  |would normally be expected to pass into the Coptic lexicon of Greek
                  loan-words. In
                  |fact, I can't find it at all in the entire Greek NT. 'Creditor',
                  'lender', and 'userer' all
                  |seem to correspond to other Greek words. Hopefully, Rick or someone
                  else who
                  |knows Greek pretty well can confirm or disconfirm this.

                  I'm nowhere close to any printed reference works right at the moment but
                  I took a quick look at LSJ at the Perseus site to see "what is what"
                  with XRHSTHS. It's an interesting entry.
                  http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=xrh%2Fsths&la=greek&prior=xr
                  hsthriw/dhs#lexicon
                  The primary meaning of XRHSTHS is " one who gives or expounds oracles"
                  but a secondary entry for the word (A.2) gives the meaning as "a
                  creditor or userer". As a side note, Perseus looked at 27 sets of texts
                  with a total of about 802,000 words and determined that the word occurs
                  66 times, so yeah, it is not exactly common as Mike observes.

                  While XRHSTHS with the meaning 'Creditor', 'lender', and 'userer' is
                  indeed attested I also note that none of the texts in which it is used
                  are "religious" texts. I'll do a little more checking when I get home to
                  print version of LSJ tonight.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 25, 2010
                    Hi Rick,

                    Thanks for your research on XRHSTHS. My own research
                    indicates that it doesn't occur at all in either the Greek or
                    Coptic NT's. Because of that, and in the absence of any
                    examples of Coptic usage in the NHL or elsewhere, I would
                    have to conclude that the word would have been almost
                    totally unfamiliar to a Coptic audience, and therefore that
                    the lacuna in L65 most likely contained XRHSTOS, i.e.,
                    that the intention in Coptic Thomas was to describe the
                    vineyard-owner as a kind or good man. Unfortunately, those
                    who have suggested XRHSTHS seem not to have asked
                    themselves the key question of how likely (or unlikely) the
                    sheer occurrence of that word in this text might have been.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 25, 2010
                      Hi Mike-

                      I concur that XRHSTHS is a genuinely "obscure" Greek word. Subsequent to my
                      on-line query into the Perseus database, I also pulled out my copy of LSJ to
                      look for more detail but attestation there is equally scanty.

                      More or less on a lark I pulled out my copy of Rudolf Kasser's _L' Evangile
                      selon Thomas_ just to see how he translated L 65 from Coptic back into
                      Greek(a feature of his commentary that I always find informative). He
                      clearly did not favor XRHSTHS since his Greek reads: EIPEN: ANQROPW XRHSTW
                      hN AMPELWN.... Oddly enough, in his retranslation he takes no note of the
                      lacuna but he was clearly aware of it because in his French translation of
                      the logion he renders: Un home ex[cel]lent avait une vigne (p 91). Neither
                      is there anything in the footnotes remarking on the lacuna. Guillaumont's
                      old edition of the text reads the Coptic as MXPH[ST].S (with the uncertain
                      letter being "O"). The Brill edition follows Guillaumont except that even
                      Guillaumont's uncertain reading of the O is included inside the brackets.
                      From my perpective, I can't see any way that XPHTNS is defensible given the
                      word's obscurity and the apparent contrary readings proposed by other
                      authorities. At best, at least the number of letters is plausible, but it
                      seems to me pretty cheeky to adopt the "creditor" reading given the evidence
                      **against** it being correct.

                      Rick

                    • Ian Brown
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 25, 2010
                        Rick (and others for that matter),

                        You write that, "At best, at least the number of letters is plausible, but it
                        seems to me pretty cheeky to adopt the "creditor" reading given the evidence
                        **against** it being correct."

                        I'm not quite sure why "creditor" is any cheekier a translation than "good". While I admit it is very interesting that XRHSTHS is used infrequently, just because a word isn't used often does not mean that it wasn't used here. There are plenty of texts that use a word once, or use vocabulary that is otherwise not characteristic of the text.

                        Yes, I agree that the proposition that Th. 65 refers to a "creditor" does play into the hand of the Jesus seminar. But we need to remember that the idea that Th. 65 refers to a "good man" is primarily derived from an anachronistic reading of Thomas through the synoptics. They allegorize the parable and make it (reasonably) clear that the vineyard owner is the protagonist. This is not the case in Thomas (the allegorixation that is), therefore there is no reason to see the vineyard owner as the protagonist.

                        Having dispensed with our predispositions (or rather acknowledged that both are ideologically loaded), we can read the parable on its own, but also in the context of its location in Thomas. The parable does not betray any indication that we should sympathize with the vineyard owner. So while this does not prove one way or ther other whether or not he is good, it does suggest, perhaps we are not meant to see him as such.

                        I think there is more evidence for this when we look at Th. 65 in the context of the preceeding two logia. Th. 63 tells us of the rich man who invested in worldly things, then died, and Th. 64 tells us of a person hosting a banquet who is shamed when the originally invited guests refuse his invitation. The logion concludes with Jesus saying "Buyers and merchants will not enter the places of my Father."

                        Thus in light of the fact that Th. 65 gives us no reason to view the vineyard owner as a good man, and the location of Th. 65 after two logia which are a little more clearly opposed to material exchange, it seems to me that reading the man as a "creditor" makes much more sense than as a "good man".

                        ian

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2010
                          The notion that the 3 logia (64, 65 and 66) are part of a seminal context
                          has merit, and Ian needs to be thanked for pointing that out to us.

                          On the other hand, with regard to the question of the choice of XPHSTHS or
                          XRHSTOS, I still remain skeptical of the former and lean toward the latter.

                          Mike observed that XPHSTHS appears nowhere in the CNT nor in the NHL.
                          Lidell-Scott-Jones (LSJ) finds little record of its usage except in a narrow
                          group of classical writers and the Perseus site attests to an undeniably low
                          use frequency. I note also that Mike has apparently checked the indices to
                          the NHL and found no use of the word elsewhere in the corpus. Moreover, at
                          least two textual authorities read the damaged glyph in the MSS as "O"
                          rather than "H". In fact, in the notes on the reconstructed Coptic text
                          (printed in the Q-Thomas reader which I presume is the basis for the
                          disputed translation and which I also presume to be identical to the BWG
                          text, [p154]), the alternative readings of **either** "a [good] person"
                          (XRHSTOS ) **or** "a [creditor]" (XRHSTHS) are offered as alternatives.

                          Why the latter of these two possibilities was chosen for the translation is
                          unclear, but I **still** think that the choice cuts hard against the grain
                          of probability given the statistically rare use of XRHSTHS in both Greek and
                          Coptic literature.

                          Rick

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2010
                            Hi Ian,
                            You make a good case, and I'm glad to see that here, even if I may not
                            agree with it. Here's a few pieces of reasoning I would question:

                            > While I admit it is very interesting that XRHSTHS is used infrequently,
                            > just because a word isn't used often does not mean that it wasn't used
                            > here. There are plenty of texts that use a word once, or use vocabulary
                            > that is otherwise not characteristic of the text.

                            It isn't that XRHSTHS would be used just once in the text; there are other
                            words that were used just once in Coptic Thomas, LOGOS among them.
                            Nor is it that this word would necessarily be uncharacteristic of the text.
                            It's that it's questionable whether the word was part of the Coptic lexicon
                            of Greek loan-words to begin with. They didn't use every Greek word,
                            anymore than French speakers use every English word, though they use
                            some. That the word was uncommon in Greek even to the extent of never
                            being used in the Greek NT is a strong indication that it was an unlikely
                            candidate to have passed into Coptic usage. I think, then, that it's
                            incumbent on those who favor the word to find at least one example of
                            its usage in Coptic.

                            > [The synoptics] allegorize the parable and make it (reasonably) clear
                            > that the vineyard owner is the protagonist. This is not the case in
                            > Thomas (the allegorixation that is), therefore there is no reason
                            > to see the vineyard owner as the protagonist.

                            Well, as I understand the word 'protagonist', he still remains one. The
                            parable begins with him, and he has a continuing action and speaking
                            role, while the tenant-farmers are acting as his antagonists.

                            > The parable does not betray any indication that we should sympathize
                            > with the vineyard owner. So while this does not prove one way or the
                            > other whether or not he is good, it does suggest, perhaps we are not
                            > meant to see him as such.

                            You should have prefaced this with "apart from the lacuna", but in any
                            case, I disagree with it. The Thomas version indicates that the owner
                            had an agreement with the tenants, that they broke it and refused to
                            render to him any part of the fruit of his vineyard, and that not only did
                            they do that, but they also viciously beat (note that the text doesn't
                            just say 'beat', but adds 'almost to death') his servants and killed his
                            son. You think none of that evokes sympathy or was intended to?

                            > I think there is more evidence for this when we look at Th. 65 in the
                            > context of the preceeding two logia. Th. 63 tells us of the rich man
                            > who invested in worldly things, then died, and Th. 64 tells us of a
                            > person hosting a banquet who is shamed when the originally invited
                            > guests refuse his invitation. The logion concludes with Jesus saying
                            > "Buyers and merchants will not enter the places of my Father."

                            And yet the banquet-giver is apparently himself a rich man, and the
                            story is apparently an allegory, so there's nothing implied to be
                            wrong with being rich per se - what's impled to be wrong is letting
                            mundane affairs interfere with spiritual needs (which is apparently
                            what the tenants did in Th.65). But more than that, if we're going to
                            consider adjacent sayings, then we need to consider Th.66 also.
                            That saying seems to allegorize Jesus as "the stone that the builders
                            rejected", which in turn lends credence to the view that the vineyard-
                            owner's son in Th.65 might have been intended the same way.
                            Overall, I don't see that context is any better than a draw.

                            What we may be able to agree on is that given that there's
                            plausible reasons on both sides, the best translation of the
                            lacuna may be an ellipsis.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2010
                              Rick writes:
                              > I note ... that Mike has apparently checked the indices to the
                              > NHL and found no use of the word elsewhere in the corpus.

                              I would have done that if there was any way to do it, but as far as
                              I know, there isn't. What I did do was to check Layton's Greek
                              lexicons for the 7 tractates of Codex II, and to use the search
                              function at gnosis.org to search the English translations of the
                              entire NHL for the words 'creditor', 'lender', and 'usurer'. I came
                              up with nothing, but of course that isn't as conclusive as could
                              be wished.

                              Mike
                            • Ian Brown
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 27, 2010
                                Rick,

                                just a quick note of correction. You wrote that,

                                "The notion that the 3 logia (64, 65 and 66) are part of a seminal context
                                has merit, and Ian needs to be thanked for pointing that out to us."

                                The three logia I linked together thematically were actually 63*, 64, and 65. In terms of themes (here all show the folly of investing in material things) 66 does not actually fit in with them.

                                ian

                                Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 28, 2010
                                  Hi Ian-

                                  Thanks for pointing out my mis-typing. I hope no readers got confused by the
                                  error. I did after all mean to say "63, 64 and 65".

                                  On another note, just to further ensure I haven't misspoken about the use of
                                  XRHSTHS in the NHL, I called the library at the local seminary (Bangor
                                  Theological Seminary) to see if they have all the volumes of the NHL on
                                  their shelves so I can hand check the indices for use of the word. They do
                                  have a complete set but for some inexplicable reason they are all in cold
                                  storage so it will take them "a few days" to retrieve them. In any case when
                                  they are available, I'll sift through them to see what I can find. Who
                                  knows, maybe XRHSTHS is attested somewhere in the collection.

                                  Rick

                                  ExplorerR
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 29, 2010
                                    Just to clarify what Rick is now doing, and what we were talking
                                    about earlier: "NHL" is commonly used to refer to the volume of
                                    English translations that Robinson edited (1977,1988). That
                                    book doesn't contain any indices of Coptic or Greek words, and
                                    indeed all the individual translators were free to translate as they
                                    wished. Subsequently, however, a series of critical editions
                                    were published by Brill under the general title "The Coptic
                                    Gnostic Library". Basically, each book in the series covered one
                                    codex, though sometimes in more than one volume. These books,
                                    unlike Robinson's NHL, contain both the Coptic text and indices
                                    of Coptic and Greek words used in each tractate of the codex.
                                    (The series also covers Papyrus Berolinensis 8502 and the Askew
                                    and Bruce codices, BTW.)

                                    With respect to Codex II, for example, Bentley Layton edited a
                                    two volume work that covers tractates 2 thru 7 - the Apocryphon
                                    of John in its three versions being edited by Wisse and published
                                    separately. My personal holdings include just the 2-volume Layton
                                    book, the Wisse book on ApJohn, and the critical edition of the Bruce
                                    Codex (Books of Jeu), so that was all I was able to consult at the
                                    outset, as far as indices of Greek words used in Coptic writings
                                    (other than a search of the Coptic and Greek NT's on CD).
                                    There is no general index to all the NHL tractates that I know of
                                    (I would certainly acquire it if there was one), so the best that can
                                    be done is to check the Greek index of every tractate in the entire
                                    series in the "Coptic Gnostic Library". That's what Rick's doing now.
                                    However, only a positive result will be decisive. If Rick's search
                                    turns up nothing, a proponent of XRHSTHS can still claim that
                                    it's possible, even if improbable, that that word was used only once
                                    in the entire NHL,

                                    Mike Grondin
                                  • rickhubbardus
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 30, 2010
                                      Mike wrote:

                                      > Just to clarify what Rick is now doing, <snip>

                                      Thanks, Mike, for helping to clarify "what I am doing" (that's especially helpful because sometimes I, myself, don't know what I'm doing).

                                      On a more serious note, to further clarify, the Brill critical editions which Mike has in his possession are individual volumes of the primo hard-bound editions with reconstructed texts, indices and translations of the Nag Hammadi corpus that were published over several years by multiple translators and editors (and are now priced far beyond the means of the average person, if they can be found at all). The formal title of these editions is _The Coptic Gnostic Library: Edited with English Translation, Index and Notes_. I think the conventional short-hand reference to this collection is therefore "CGL".

                                      A few years ago Brill published the complete critical editions of the Coptic Gnostic Library into a single 5 volume paperback set **also** called the Coptic Gnostic Library and this too, which **also** is ALSO regularly called the "CGL". Somewhere in between these critical editions two editions of English-only English translations were published in a single volume. These are called The Nag Hammadi Library in English and are usually shot-handed as the "NHL".

                                      To Be Perfectly Clear: There is no comprehensive index to the "NHL".

                                      So, what I hope to **really** clarify is that when I said I was going to look at the indices of the NHL what I really SHOULD have said (in order to be completely accurate) was that I'm going to examine the indices of the **GCL**not the *NHL*.

                                      Clear as mud, eh?

                                      Rick
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 30, 2010
                                        To All:

                                        My apologies for the garbled post I submitted earlier:

                                        In the second paragraph I wrote:

                                        " A few years ago Brill published the complete critical editions of the
                                        Coptic Gnostic Library into a single 5 volume paperback set **also** called
                                        the Coptic Gnostic Library and this too, which **also** is ALSO regularly
                                        called the "CGL".

                                        Please ignore the "which **also**". Or, better yet, just understand that
                                        both the original hard-bound critical edition and the paper-bound versions
                                        mat both be called "CGL". The contents of both are the same (as far as I
                                        know).

                                        Then there is this:
                                        These are called The Nag Hammadi Library in English and are usually
                                        shot-handed as the "NHL".

                                        I meant to say, "usually short-handed as the 'NHL'."

                                        Rick
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 31, 2010

                                          Well, Rick, it’s clear to me what you’re doing. But, as Mike says, not finding anything is not definitive, so a rather frustrating exercise. I spent quite a number of hours doing a very similar task with CGL (paperback edition) a number of years ago, only I was looking at the way “time” CGL talked about “time” or something similar and the best I could do is “it seems highly unlikely that ...” L

                                          Good luck.

                                          Judy Redman
                                          PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
                                          University of New England
                                          Armidale 2351 Australia
                                          ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
                                          mob: 0437 044 579
                                          web:
                                           http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
                                          email:
                                           jredman2@...

                                          _

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 5, 2010
                                            Hi Rick,
                                            Many thanks for your research. I've been trying to track down the
                                            1974 French piece by B. Dehandschutter that Marvin Meyer cited
                                            in his comments on L.65 in _The Gospel of Thomas_ (1992).
                                            It's in a 1974 book edited by Maurits Sabbe. (It wouldn't do me any
                                            good to have it in French, cuz I don't know the language, but I was
                                            hoping it might be online, so that I could get a rough translation via
                                            the browser.) Preliminary search results indicate it isn't online, but
                                            I did find a 2001 address by John Kloppenborg (whose book Ian
                                            Brown had mentioned) on the occasion of assuming office as the
                                            president of the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies. It's titled
                                            "Ideology and Ideological Readings of the Parable of the Tenants",
                                            and presumably includes some of the basic ideas of his book.
                                            See in particular pages 18-19, where he addresses the Thomas
                                            version (and cites Dehandschutter):

                                            www.ccsr.ca/csbs/presidential2001.PDF

                                            Kloppenborg notes that the 15th edition of the German publication
                                            SQE (1993) incorporates Dehandschutter's suggestion, which I
                                            wasn't aware of. I happen to have that, so I checked it out, and sure
                                            enough, XRHSTOS is reduced to a footnote. (Even worse, the English
                                            translation given is 'usurer', rather than the more benign 'creditor'.)
                                            It appears, then, that the earlier consensus in favor of XRHSTOS
                                            shifted some years back in favor of XRHSTHS. But as far as I have
                                            been able to determine, that shift was entirely based on reasoning
                                            about what the parable must mean. I haven't seen any indication that
                                            anyone gave any thought to the *likelihood* of that word appearing in
                                            a Coptic text. What I want to do is to check the Dehandschutter piece
                                            to see if *he* gave it any thought. I suspect he didn't, but that remains
                                            to be seen. Everyone else seems to have assumed that because it
                                            was a Greek word, there was no reason why it wouldn't show up in a
                                            Coptic text. But if they had actually researched the question, they would
                                            have seen that Coptic writings contain a relatively small lexicon of Greek
                                            words. Those that were used were those with which the Copts were most
                                            familiar, and as far as can be determined, XRHSTHS wasn't one of them.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 8, 2010
                                              Rick informs me that he's posted a note relevant to this
                                              discussion on Charlie Hedrick's blog at:
                                              http://www.charleshedrick.com

                                              It's worth taking a look at, though Hedrick totally ignores
                                              the research results that Rick presents. Instead, he makes
                                              two claims that I think are misleading to the point of being
                                              blatantly false:

                                              (1) that XRHSTOS and XRHSTHS are "equally possible".
                                              What Hedrick must mean is that they both fit the lacuna.
                                              As to probability of usage, however, it's clear from the evidence
                                              presented here lately (and in Rick's blog note) that XRHSTHS is
                                              quite improbable.

                                              (2) that 'usurer' is a neutral term. To quote Hedrick:
                                              "... there is nothing intrinsically wrong about being a userer
                                              (money lender). Under certain community attitudes it can be
                                              seen as an ignoble profession, but in our society it plays a
                                              helpful role, unless of course we are talking about payday
                                              loans at exorbitant rates of interest."

                                              But when we use the word 'usurer', we _are_ talking about "loans
                                              at exorbitant rates of interest", because that's what the word means
                                              today! In an English translation, we cannot use a word to convey an
                                              *archaic* meaning that it no longer has. The reader will understand
                                              it in its contemporary meaning. If we want to convey an archaic
                                              meaning, another word should be used which has that meaning in
                                              contemporary parlance, such as, in the present case, 'money lender'.
                                              In short, I find Hedrick's defense of 'usurer' to be untenable.