Re: [GTh] Adventures in Wikiland

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9, 2010
      At 12:54 PM 3/9/2010, Michael Grondin wrote:

      I made over a dozen changes to the Wikipedia article "Gospel
      of Thomas" last week, including changes to the external links
      that were initially blocked. The current version can be seen at:

      Three article-tabs of interest:
      "discussion": The talk page for this article.
      "history": A complete list of changes to the article, in date order
      (my changes are identified as 'mwgrondin').
      "watch/unwatch": A click-tab to add this article to your watchlist,
      or remove it, if it's already there.

      The watchlist turns out to be less valuable than I first thought.
      Since it only lists the *latest* change to whatever articles you're
      watching, I've missed some edits that other users put in while
      I was working on my own. The bottom line is that one has to
      check the full article-history from time to time in order to make
      sure that one is aware of all the changes to the article. (It would
      be far better if there was a way to email all changes to a given
      article as they occur to whoever was interested, but I can't
      find any such functionality.)

      To give you all an idea of the kind of changes that random users
      make, here's one that I had to fix:

      The original wording read:
      "[GTh] lacks references to the crucifixion of Jesus, his resurrection,
      or the final judgement..."

      The editor changed it to read:
      "[GTh] mentions a prophecy of the crucifixion of Jesus, but doesn't
      mention his resurrection, or the final judgement ..."

      ... with a footnote indicating that the "prophecy" was in logion 65
      (i.e., the parable of tenants in the vineyard, who put the owner's
      son to death). Other than changing the wording so that 'or' is used
      properly, this change doesn't have much to recommend it. Obviously,
      L65 doesn't allude to crucifixion, but more than that, there doesn't
      seem to be any basis for calling it a 'prophecy' (which I think has to
      occur *before* the event in question :-). The parable is in all the
      synoptics, but Thomas lacks the afterthought of those versions
      that the tenants will all be killed in retaliation - probably (IMO) an
      allusion to the Jewish Rebellion of 66-75 CE.

      Anyway, I wanted to incorporate a little something about L.65, but
      also remove the implication of the original wording "his resurrection"
      that in fact there was such a thing. What I settled on was this:

      "[GTh] contains a probable allusion to the death of Jesus in
      logion 65 (parable of the tenants in the vineyard), but doesn't
      mention crucifixion, resurrection, or final judgement ..."

      Now for something completely different:
      It should be noted that the section of the Thomas article on
      the dating controversy is long and ragged. I did a little editing of
      the part of it that had to do with possible John-Thomas interaction,
      but other than that I've so far left it alone. It drew a lot of attention
      on the discussion page back in January, and I would recommend
      that those of you who are interested in this issue take a look at
      that section of the article and the discussion about it. You may be
      able to come up with some improvements in organization, wording,
      etc. Whatever changes you make, though, be sure to conform to
      the NPOV (neutral point-of-view) standard.

      Mike Grondin

      Thanks, Mike, for these important efforts. :IMHO everyone on this list should monitor the Gospel of Thomas wiki to make sure it summarizes the best consensus of scholarly opinion about the gospel, as it evolves.  That can be an important legacy of this discussion group, and Mike has set a good example.

      Bob Schacht