Re: [GTh] Manuscript Notes: Page 32

    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 7, 2010
      > Since Mike is the "Keeper of the Holy Facsimile Edition" maybe he could
      > give us a quick run-down on the direction of the fibers on each page.
      > That would indeed be helpful.

      Sure thing, Rick. In the Thomas section of Codex II, all the odd-numbered
      pages have vertical fibers, all the even-numbered pages have horizontal.
      When the codex is open, an even-numbered page is on the left, an odd-
      numbered page on the right, so one would open to pages 32-33, e.g.,
      and pages 31-32 would be on opposite sides of the left-hand leaf, pages
      33-34 on opposite sides of the other. (The codex wasn't originally
      paginated,
      but the facsimile pagination seems to be well-based.)

      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 10, 2010
        > In the Middle Ages, ['quire'] had a number of specific meanings, with
        > specific names. In modern times, it refers to 1/20th of a ream, IIRC.
        > See the Wikipedia.

        As I said earlier, Bob, regardless of this and other definitions deriving
        from non-ancient binding and publishing processes, James Robinson
        didn't use the word that way in his Intro to the Facsimile edition. In his
        usage, a quire is an indefinite number of leaves folded together:

        "A *codex* is made up of one or more *gatherings", usually referred
        to as *quires*. For although this term is derived from *quaterniones*,
        which is the designation for gatherings of four sheets (which came
        to predominate), it has taken on the broader meaning of gatherings
        of any number of *sheets* or *bifolios*." (p.32)