RE: [GTh] Manuscript Notes: Page 32

    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 7, 2010

      Rick,

      If you look at the facsimiles on the web, you will see up the top something that says II,<page number> followed by an arrow that either goes up and down or horizontally.  This arrow indicated the direction of the fibres on the particular page.  It is either in the top left or top right of the image, outside the actual papyrus sheet.

      Regards

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
      mob: 0437 044 579
      web:
       http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email:
       jredman2@...

      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 10, 2010
        > In the Middle Ages, ['quire'] had a number of specific meanings, with
        > specific names. In modern times, it refers to 1/20th of a ream, IIRC.
        > See the Wikipedia.

        As I said earlier, Bob, regardless of this and other definitions deriving
        from non-ancient binding and publishing processes, James Robinson
        didn't use the word that way in his Intro to the Facsimile edition. In his
        usage, a quire is an indefinite number of leaves folded together:

        "A *codex* is made up of one or more *gatherings", usually referred
        to as *quires*. For although this term is derived from *quaterniones*,
        which is the designation for gatherings of four sheets (which came
        to predominate), it has taken on the broader meaning of gatherings
        of any number of *sheets* or *bifolios*." (p.32)