Re: [GTh] Manuscript Notes: Page 32

  • John Moon
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 7, 2010

      On Feb 7, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Judy Redman wrote:

      Scribe B’s writing takes up significantly more room!

      Just an observation and a question

      Considering the emphasis on the Big fish,The largest sheep through out Thomas.

      Are the Larger scribe b lines more significant to the Thomasines?.

      That would be something that even the new reader might fall upon.

      I note that today in many Bibles this same method is used( A larger type or different script) to emphasis say the words of Jesus.

      That is, are these larger line intentional? If so, then why?

      Thanks you

      regards
      John Moon
      Springfield , Tn 37172
      =
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 10, 2010
        > In the Middle Ages, ['quire'] had a number of specific meanings, with
        > specific names. In modern times, it refers to 1/20th of a ream, IIRC.
        > See the Wikipedia.

        As I said earlier, Bob, regardless of this and other definitions deriving
        from non-ancient binding and publishing processes, James Robinson
        didn't use the word that way in his Intro to the Facsimile edition. In his
        usage, a quire is an indefinite number of leaves folded together:

        "A *codex* is made up of one or more *gatherings", usually referred
        to as *quires*. For although this term is derived from *quaterniones*,
        which is the designation for gatherings of four sheets (which came
        to predominate), it has taken on the broader meaning of gatherings
        of any number of *sheets* or *bifolios*." (p.32)