Re: [GTh] The Use of 'You' Singular in CGTh

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2010
      Hi Bob,

      The Coptic construction in question has a possessive pronoun
      attached to a noun, so it doesn't seem that other contents of the
      sentence could affect the relationship between the two joined
      elements. But your note did jog my memory of a logion I cited
      in my original list of 2nd-person singular cases:

      L33.1: What you(sg) hear in [both ears], shout it from
      your(sg) housetops(pl!).

      Actually, I made a mistake here. The 'you' is indeed singular, but
      the 'your' is plural, not singular. That eliminates my expressed
      surprise that 'housetops' is plural, BUT (1) the 'your' is NETN-,
      which I just got through saying was reserved for use with the
      few plural Coptic nouns - according to Lambdin section 4.1 -
      and (2) the Coptic noun meaning 'housetop' (or 'roof') is singular,
      not plural! So if this isn't a grammatical error (there's a few of
      those in the ms.), there's something else going on that I don't
      understand.

      One complicating factor is that Lambdin's grammar is that of
      Sahidic Coptic, whereas Coptic Thomas has some elements
      of SubAchmimic mixed into it. But since Layton doesn't include
      33.1 in his list of variations from standard Sahidic, I don't know
      what to make of this.