SD's Intellectual Odyssey

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2009
      Hey Steve -

      Since I suspect you won't be with us beyond the metaphorical
      forty days, I'd really like to take this opportunity to find out
      something about your intellectual journeys over the years.
      I read in Skinner's interview that you're currently working on
      Buddhist thought, and I seem to recall that you did some work
      quite a while back on the Mayan culture, so what I'd like to ask
      you is this: since you must have learned from the setup of the
      Mayan calendar that the world would end in 2012, do you think
      you have enough time left to complete your Buddhist studies?

      No, no, that's not it. Forget that. What I'd really like to do is get some
      general feel for what you've been up to over the years, and how you
      see your various interests as being somehow connected (or not).

      Mike
    • stevandavies
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2009
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

        > Hey Steve -
        >
        > Since I suspect you won't be with us beyond the metaphorical
        > forty days, I'd really like to take this opportunity to find out
        > something about your intellectual journeys over the years.
        > I read in Skinner's interview that you're currently working on
        > Buddhist thought, and I seem to recall that you did some work
        > quite a while back on the Mayan culture, so what I'd like to ask
        > you is this: since you must have learned from the setup of the
        > Mayan calendar that the world would end in 2012, do you think
        > you have enough time left to complete your Buddhist studies?
        >
        > No, no, that's not it. Forget that. What I'd really like to do is get
        some
        > general feel for what you've been up to over the years, and how you
        > see your various interests as being somehow connected (or not).
        >
        > Mike

        Well, Mike, Rebbe Doctor Zalman Schachter Shalomi wrote me a
        recommendation at the end of Grad school that began, "Young Doctor
        Davies is a very curious person." And that is why I get involved in
        Mayan studies and in the study of Vajrayana Buddist art. That, coupled
        with various completely ancillary happenstances like finding NEH funding
        for travel to Maya sites and discovering that you can buy authentic old
        Mongolian art for very little money via EBay. So one goes from one
        interest to another for no coherent reason and one tends to pity ones
        peers who find one interest when they are in their early twenties and
        then they stay with that for all of the decades to come until their
        world ends.

        The end of the world in 2012 is something I'm looking foward to because
        I expect Jesus to show up and I have a list of names to give him, people
        for him to take care of, that I've been compiling for a long time now.
        Me and Jesus are on the same wavelength vis a vis religious
        self-righteous hypocrites (I take as my text Matthew 23). First, though,
        the rapture, where the Faithful who live and their Zombie friends are
        caught up into the air to meet the Lord and then, from that great
        height, dropped screaming down to splatter on the surface of the earth.
        One hopes.

        I have been having problems with the Word for a long time, but it
        doesn't seem to me that anything interesting is happening. Am I missing
        something? There are a host of Scholars who are discovering that Jesus
        and the NT and the OT and so forth are all pretty much what they learned
        in Sunday School, which of course is just idiotic, and there are some
        people applying high level deconstructionist fad theory to things in
        ways that don't seem to explain anything at all. We desperately need new
        evidence and I'm sure some will emerge from some tomb eventually, but
        nothing much has emerged in the past 60 years. The fragmentary Gnostic
        stuff that the headlines love is interesting, but not relevant to HJ or
        Xian origins questions, IMO.

        I don't think that the Gospel of Thomas is understood any better now
        than twenty five years ago; even basic questions like dependence or not,
        date, purpose, aren't answered to general satisfaction. The connection
        between the guy from Galilee and the Christ of Faith that has puzzled me
        since earliest Crosstalk days has received no solution or even serious
        investigation and may even not be investigateable, which to me raises
        the question, why not? But everybody seems to have an answer that
        satisfies them, answers which to me usually seem tautological... it
        happened because it happened, and so forth. Actually my progress,
        inversely enough, is to have increasingly realized what a complete and
        astonishing problem it is.

        So, I dunno. Your question, Mike, is pretty vague but I think being a
        curious person is largely what I'm up to.

        Steve