Relocation of Geocities Website Content

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2009
      As announced some months back, I've had to move my site due
      to the closing of Geocities on Oct 26th. The easiest way was to
      stick with Yahoo, which owns Geocities and promises to forward-
      link from the old URL to the new for some extended period of time.
      As part of this move, it was necessary to choose a domain-name.
      Casting aside the possibilities mentioned in my earlier note as being
      too obscure and/or dorky, and having failed to elicit any suggestions
      at all, better or worse, I've settled on 'gospel-of-thomas.net'.

      Note first that it's 'net', not 'com'. It's not that 'com' was taken, but
      that I preferred 'net'. Note also the hyphens in the URL. There's a
      site called 'gospelofthomas.net' run by one Hugh McGregor Ross,
      with the apparent purpose of selling his books.

      I think I've got the new site in shape, but it would be great if others
      would test it sooner rather than later, to make sure that it runs properly.
      (Not much of a time-window, I'm afraid, since I'm led to believe that
      all traffic will get routed to the new site after Monday.)

      http://gospel-of-thomas.net/

      (For reasons unknown to me, it seems to work just as well without
      the leading 'www' as with it.)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
    • Christopher Skinner
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2009
        Mike,

        Thanks for the info. The new site seems to work just fine. I'll make sure to
        update the site info on my blog. Thanks for all you do.

        Chris

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009
          This is to notify everyone that my new website has been down
          the last two days due to an unexpected difficulty. It seems that
          I followed the wrong set of two conflicting sets of instructions
          from Yahoo-Geocities for creating a new site, resulting in a
          situation where I would have been billed double what I'm now
          paying. The Yahoo folks determined that in order to rectify the
          situation, I would have to cancel the new site I had built, and let them
          build it up again another way. In the process, the new domain name
          had to be taken out of service - temporarily, they assure me. In the
          interim, anyone wishing to access the content of the site can still use
          the old Geocities address(es). When the new domain becomes
          available again (hopefully in short order) it will replace the old.
          Thanks and apologies to Stephen Carlson and Chris Skinner, who
          took notice of my earlier note on the URL change and modified
          their blog-rolls accordingly. I'll announce when everything's been
          set right.