Re: [GTh] Another Take on Nomina Sacra

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2009
      From: "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
      Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:44 AM
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [GTh] Another Take on Nomina Sacra

      > As most everyone here knows, I have a keen interest in the
      > subject of nomina sacra, 105 of which were used to refer to
      > Jesus in Gos.Thom. (102 IS's plus three IHS's). In particular,
      > the significance of the numerical value of IS (210) has been
      > discussed at length.
      >
      > Over at the blog "Evangelical Textual Criticism" (linked from
      > April DeConick's blogroll), there's a new piece on nomina
      > sacra (but without mention of numerical values). The blogger
      > cites an early (1 CE) Greek inscription abbreviating the name
      > 'Tiberios' to TIB, with overstroke, asserting that in addition to
      > suggesting that the Christian use of NS was derived from
      > Graeco-Roman usage, the inscription gives added support to
      > the possibility that IHS was the earliest Christian NS (but with the
      > apparent suggestion that the S represented the _third_ letter of
      > the name, not the last, as with other Christian nomina sacra.)
      > There's also a number of interesting comments, but no mention
      > of Larry Hurtado's theory that IH was the earliest, nor of whatever
      > is indicated by the earliest Christian manuscripts.
      >
      > http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-acropolis-museum-and-nomina-sacra.html
      >
      > Mike G.

      These types of abbreviations for the names and titles of a "Dominus et Deus"
      emperor can be found on the coinage of the time. The use of IC throughout
      and the appearance of IHC in three logia may result from a scriptorium
      convention at the time the saying entered the text. I suspect that logia
      13, 22 and 90 entered the text at a later time or in a different
      scriptorium. I think the Gnostic redactor follows the Logion 12 elevation of
      James (which I believe goes back to Jesus) with Logion 13 styled after the
      Mark narrative where Peter is rebuked, the Matthean edited from Mark where
      Peter is elevated, the Lukan form where Peter is not elevated and the John
      form where Peter is called Cephas (not Petros) and then on to our Gnostic
      scribe who wants to elevate Thomas. Logion 22 is also, IMO, a late addition
      by a Gnostic redactor based on the Jesus' children sayings for the Gnostic
      two into one thing. Logion 90 also uses XRHSTOS which we discussed a few
      days ago and was, IMO, a late Gnostic redactors rework of Sira and Mt
      11:28-30.

      In short, the IHC is late redaction. It does make L90's XRHSTOS a bit more
      interesting.

      Jack